1/72 Airfix Spitfire Mk1

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pusskyfly

Airman
Jul 15, 2009
England
Heya,
just thought I'd post my progress since a few of you have helped me out :)
And I just worked out how to use my camera a little better, though it still need some work ><

Have just finished painting the main coats. ( I had a vendetta with the masking tape so gave up with that for now and decided to see how steady my hand was. Will try another model once I get some other tape)

I tried using the decals with the kit, but apparantly the brown paper ones are ..a bit rubbish. And yus they did break apart a bit, hence a little scuffage where I took them off ><

Would like some recommendations for some replacements if anyone has one!

Anywho, this is what it looks like at the moment.
dscf0104_213.jpg

dscf0106_115.jpg

Any advice for a modeller returning would be appreciated \o/

Last edited:
Looking good so far mate!

Great find too, Wojtek! Myself, I have Airfix's markings for Mk.II XT-D going spare if you need them.

The decal set is really nice.I have used it as well for my Airfix Spitfire Mk.IIA of 303 Polish sqadron I made a few years ago.The only corrections were the Pitot tube which was of the early variant and the spinner..Also I added a back mirror at the top of windshield.

Attachments

• Spitfire_MkIIa.jpg
    Spitfire_MkIIa.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 203
  • Spitfire_MkIIa_3.jpg
    Spitfire_MkIIa_3.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Looking nice, will watch with interest - my next build will be the Airfix Mk 1 but I'm thinkling of gracing it with some IIb decals (will I get away with that?)

Markings aren't any problem but finding a nice pic of Mk.IIB can be......

In meantime I found these shots on my HDD.Source unknown.

Attachments

• Spitfire MkIIb.jpg
    Spitfire MkIIb.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 196
  • Spitfire MkIIB_92thRAFsqn_QJS.jpg
    Spitfire MkIIB_92thRAFsqn_QJS.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 189
  • Sitfire MkIIB_306sqn_UZ N_1941.jpg
    Sitfire MkIIB_306sqn_UZ N_1941.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 157
Have updated the photos so they look a bit better .. i think.

And thanks for the decal link Wurger. Definitely be grabbing me a set of those.
Very nice spit too :) How do you attach the radio wire to the plane by the way without making the join look too visible?

The wire is a thread I ripped out from my wife's tights. These threads are very thin and can be glued with the standard glue for plastic kits.One very small drop of it can stick the thread without any traces.

Heres what she looks like now. Thanks to Evan, she has a finished cockpit! Unfortunately, she'll have to stay this way till the Decals come back in stock >< Or can I ring them up and get them to specifically order some for me from the manufacturer? I have very little experience with these things ><

dscf0143_202.jpg

dscf0145_151.jpg

I tried doing the machine gun covers with painted red masking tape but am not sure it wroks all that well. But they come off easy enough so its ok :)
And the pilot isnt finished in case you were wondering :p I dont even think he suits the period ><

Users who are viewing this thread

Back