1/72 Avro Lancaster B.III "Dambusters" - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Florence

Senior Airman
Sep 27, 2009
NSW, Australia
User Name: Florence
Name: David
Category: Beginner
Kit: Revell Lancaster B.III Dambuster
Scale: 1/72nd.
Accessories: TBA - maybe replacement gun barrels.

102255-11185.jpg

This one needs little introduction - Operation Chastise and the famous 617 Squadron Dambusters. I intend to do AJ-P (P for Popsie), flown by Flight Lieutenant Harold 'Mick" Evans who was one of several Australians in the squadron. On the Dams raid he was Gibsons wingman and flew in the first three aircraft formation of the first wave. P-Popsie was the third aircraft to attack the Mohne dam, was hit by flak and damaged whilst releasing its bomb. Martin continued to fly along side the remaining attackers on their bomb run to to draw enemy fire and suppress the enemy flak defences. After the dam was breached he was ordered to RTB by Gibson and landed safely at Scampton some hours later.

So despite my misgivings - having never built four engines before and the questionable amount of modelling time I may have - in the 70th anniversary year of Operation Chatise and the legend of the dambusters I shall endeavor to finish this one in their memory. I am in the process of reading reviews atm and have taken note of the wing dihedral isssue, escape hatch placement etc. This wiill be mostly OOB so we will see. The decals rated a mention somewhere as being thick and out of register. They do look think but the register seems ok to my semitrained eye. The proof will be in the stitch and nine will save the pudding.

More to follow,
David.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good choice.
There was a Davidson on one of the Dambuster planes. Never even made it to the training base, crashed on the way.
See if you can shorten the title. When they get realllly long it's hard to make them out, cha knows?

Good one David. Lots of info on the raid, and the aircraft around now, so should be plenty to go at. If you fancy changing kits (which I doubt after purchasing the Revell kit!), the brand new, new tool, fully detailed Airfix kit has just been released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back