1/72 D4Y2/3 Suisei Judy, 601st 653rd Kokutai, October 1944 WIP

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wingnutz

Airman 1st Class
Apr 20, 2007
Singapore
I swung by Achtung Japan here in Singapore this weekend and got these kits to even out the IJN line-up of my builds...hopefully I can squeeze these deadlines before the BOLG anniversary...or not...

It's the two versions of the D4Y Suisei "Judy" Bombers used by the IJN during the Battle of Leyte Gulf from the aircraft carrier Zuiho (653rd Kokutai) and the land-based 601st Kokutai, probably from Mabalacat, Pampanga Base. Faster than the A6M5 Zero Sen, these aircraft were actually used as night fighters with oblique cannons to bring down allied bombers.

The 601st were actually based in Tengah Air Base, Singapore too before they got pulled out to beef-up the IJN forces in the Philippines.

These aircraft were also responsible for sinking the most allied ships during the pacific conflict, most notably the aircraft carrier USS Princeton.

Old kits, but amazingly with recessed panel lines, though the canopy is a tad thick, not to mention a masking nightmare.

wip_judy_D4Y2_boxart.jpg

wip_judy_D4Y3_boxart.jpg

D4Y2judynameplate_01.jpg

D4Y2judycolorscheme.jpg

D4Y3judynameplate_01.jpg

D4Y3judycolorscheme.jpg

Last edited:
thanks folks...

doing test-fitting now, and i must say it's not gonna be a stroll in the park...these kits are just begging to be detailed...

engine cowling flaps, canopy options perhaps from falcon vac-form custom parts, etc...

and i'm not really crazy enough to show open bomb bays...not yet anyway...

the more i look at the kits, the more i realize that there's a few more mods that i need to do to update them...

with the D4Y3 having more inaccuracies than the D4Y2 kit...mostly on the engine cowling, i.e. intakes, gun ports, exhaust pipes...

oh well...

wip_judy_canopymasking.jpg

finally got some work done again on these projects...

the falcon vac-formed canopies were a badly needed upgrade as the original ones were like old victorian windows with thick frames...

these bird-cage canopies are a good test of patience as well...

the hinomaru outlines were filled with CA glue, sanded and re-scribed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back