1/72 HobbyBoss - Westland Lynx HAS.MK2 (UH-14A MLD)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jjp_nl

Staff Sergeant
Apr 13, 2011
Not exactly a WW2 subject, but perhaps interesting to see something different for a change. For a Dutch forum I've just started work on a new project as part of a NATO 1970-1989 groupbuild. The other day I came across the 1/72 HobbyBoss Westland Lynx HAS.MK.2 kit. And it seemed like an enjoyable project for when I wanted to take a break from all the WW2 stuff going on and do something entirely different. This NATO gb seemed like the perfect opportunity to get this show on the road and do a helicopter for a change (one I especially like I might add)

The HobbyBoss kit gives one the opportunity to turn it into a Dutch Lynx of the MLD (Marine Luchtvaart Dienst = Naval Aviation Service) around the late nineteen seventies, so the choice as to which version I want to turn it into was quite easy as a matter of fact.

Even though most of you have probably heard of the Lynx, this being a non-WW2 subject, a little introduction might be in order. The Lynx has been in Dutch service since the late nineteen seventies as UH-14(A/B/C/D) Various batches of the export version of the HAS.MK2 and HAS.MK3 were acquired (as UH-14A, UH-14B and UH-14C) between the late seventies and early eighties. Due to minor differences between the different sub-types in Dutch service and the (technical/logistical) problems that were the result of that all Lynx' In Dutch service have been standardized/upgraded to UH-14D through the STAMOL project (Standardization and Modernization Lynx) in the early to mid nineteen nineties. Due to delays in the delivery of the NH-90 a couple of Lynx have since received a major overhaul by Westland as they had reached their technical lifespan of 7000 flying hours, but were all still in good condition to fly another 1000 hours (provided they be thoroughly serviced) With NH-90 deliveries finally starting it prolly won't be long until this baby disappears from the skies, after a respectable carreer in Dutch service of over 30 years.

So what's in the Kit? The kit offers decals for Lynx 264 with was one of the first six (UH-14A) delivered in the late seventies. While the profile shows torpedo's these first UH-14A were mostly used for utility/SAR/pilot training duties. I do believe they had provisions for torpedo's, but they most likely didn't have them most of the time. So I'm gonna leave them Torpedo's off. I like the Lynx a lot better without them anyway :)

I took these first few pics from scale rotors BTW
00-doosje-2.jpg

01-rekje01-1.jpg

02-rekje02-1.jpg

03-rekje03.jpg

04-rekje04.jpg

05-glaasjes.jpg

06-decals.jpg

07-MLDprofiel.jpg

Then it's on to the build.

Started by chopping some bits and pieces from their sprues and cleaning them up
08-Stukkiesuithakken.jpg

Basic construction of the interior starts
09-Begininterieur.jpg

With the fuselage and all major bulkheads cut from the sprue and cleaned up it was to time to do some dryfitting and see how the basic construction sit. Look to me as far as fit goes.
10-droogpassen.jpg

I have since found out that HobbyBoss made a few mistakes when it comes to the decals (look at the picture below which shows Lynx 264]. First, pictures of early Dutch Lynx show a white letter to be present on the tail indicating their home base (for example 'K' for De Kooy or 'KN' for S-class frigate 'Kortenaer' HobbyBoss did not provide this white letter. Colors and size of the Dutch roundels aren't quite what they supposed to be either. Early Dutch Lynx had a larger size roundel on the sides and comparing this picture with the colors of the roundels shows the HobbyBoss decals to be off quite a bit. Lucky enough for me one of the guys of Flevo Decals dropped me line offering to look for and send me a few new roundels (Thanks guys, things like these are among the reasons why you got the IMPS Business award last saturday)
0793585.jpg

I hope to be able to shoot some basic interior colors on the interior parts this evening and I also intend to give the clearparts a good polishing as they need to be installed rather early in the build.

I hope you'll enjoy the build of this non-WW2 kit.

Jelmer

Last edited:
Good stuff Jelmer - should be a neat little model when done.

Thanks Terry. In time I hope to be able to do our 'brave' Libya Raider as well ;) The guy from Flevo Decals I talked to about the Lynx told me they had gathered sufficient reference material to do the appropriate decals for the one apparently still sitting on a beach near Sirte (next to the standard markings that one apparently carries certain nose/fuselage art)

true, with Khadaffi and his lot out of way I heard the Dutch government requested the Lynx be returned though. Indeed with the battle in Sirte going down it prolly looks a lot worse now (any pic's BTW of how she looks now?, might be interesting to do a little diorama of how she sits on the beach all worn out, weathered and damaged.)

With all - should look beauty when done Jelmer!

Interesting too the weathered idea -don't see that too often in modern aircraft builds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back