1/72 HPM Bristol (DAP) Beaufort Mk.VI

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wingnutz

Airman 1st Class
Apr 20, 2007
Singapore
Here's my rendition of a Bristol (DAP) Beaufort for the Kallang Airport Group Build display for the Airfix Cup 2014. This was to be one the first DAP built Beauforts from Australia, circa 1941, which is a lot less armed than it's later versions. This version also sports Twin Wasp engines compared to it's British made versions.

Beaufort_1.jpg

Beaufort_2.jpg

Beaufort_3.jpg

Beaufort_4.jpg

Beaufort_5.jpg

The kit is an old HPM mould that is considered to be the most accurate of the 1/72 Beaufort model kits out there. Modifications were;
> Scratch-built cockpit;
> Scratch-built bomb bay;
> Scratch-built side windows and bombardier's floor window from clear plastic;
> Added white metal Vickers guns for the rear turret;
> Added small details like, gun camera mount, gun sight pin, fuel dump nozzles, dorsal antenna, aerial wire and a toilet seat at the waist gunner's/door position;

Colors were Mr Hobby Acrylics with weathering using Tamiya Panel Line Accent Colors and Mr Hobby Weathering Pastels.

I wanted to depict how this lone Beaufort looked like after it got bloodied after a recon mission and was written off altogether.

The kit itself is not for your average modeller, as stated in the box, but quite enjoyable to build with all the white metal parts, resin option parts and a multitude of Mk.VI options on decals.

HPM is planning to do an update of the kit sometime soon.

The tractor and oil bowser is from the latest (new tooling) 1/72 Airfix Bomb Re-supply Set. A must-have for modellers who are into RAF subjects at 1/72 scale.

Nice one !
I'm looking forward to the 1/48th scale Beaufort, coming from Special Hobby I think.

Another Nice one !was the weathering the same technique as the Nick?The PTO just seem hard on the paint of most crates.

Another Nice one !was the weathering the same technique as the Nick?The PTO just seem hard on the paint of most crates.

Much thanks folks...yes, in a way the weathering process is the same. But how much and which parts leaves much to the imagination.

Gotta love those aircraft of WW2...

Great work mate!
How was she assembly-wise? Need to get a Beaufort for my kiwi collection (489 (NZ) Sqn, used them before getting Hampdens)

Great work mate!
How was she assembly-wise? Need to get a Beaufort for my kiwi collection (489 (NZ) Sqn, used them before getting Hampdens)

Being an old HPM kit, it needed a lot of TLC in the fitting, sanding and filing phase. The panel lines are a tad shallow, so those needed a wee bit of re-scribing. The fuselage halves are also of thick moulding compared to the recent modern tooled HPM kits.

But the redeeming part of the kit is the amazing options in white metal parts, resin parts and decal marking options. It even comes with the bigger/wider tail fin ala Mk.VIII. The canopy and rear turret clear parts are vacu-formed, which is great, but doesn't include the bombardier's floor window, round and square port and starboard fuselage windows. But these can be easily replicated from the excess clear plastic from the canopy. Engine nacelle intakes are also of white metal parts. The highly detailed main and tail landing gears are also white metal. The wheels/tires are of the right size. The cockpit detail is a tad bare, so this is where added detailing is essential, as the canopy reveals a lot (or less) if left OOB.

The rear turret mounting needs a wee bit of help, as the top part of the turret bay needs to be hewn to accommodate the early turret shape.

The Vickers guns were an added aftermarket option, as the kit guns were too spartan. The turret ring comes with either white metal or plastic option parts.

This is a far cry from any Tamiya or Hasegawa kit in ease of fitting and assembly. But if you're into a challenge, then this kit is just waiting for you to exercise your patience and creativity on.

Mate - thanks a million!
I suspected it would have 'the usual' MPM fit and thickness issues, so no surprises there. Their resin parts and choice of subjects are definitely their saving graces. Will definitely have to get this kit!

Cheers, Evan

Mate - thanks a million!
I suspected it would have 'the usual' MPM fit and thickness issues, so no surprises there. Their resin parts and choice of subjects are definitely their saving graces. Will definitely have to get this kit!

Cheers, Evan

Kia Ora...no worries...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back