1/72 Lancaster X - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

User Name: Catch22
Name: Cory
Category: Intermediate
Entry: Avro Lancaster B X, KB840, WL*N 434 Squadron RCAF
Kit: 1/72 Airfix Lancaster B III "Dambusters", using the extra parts to build a normal Lancaster.
Extras: Xtradecal codes, custom decal

Here is my second entry into this GB. I know I'll have this one done on time because I don't have any choice; it will be a Christmas gift for my grandmother, whose father worked in a wheel factory in Windsor, Ontario making wheels for the Canadian built Mk X. Since we were little we've called her Nanny on her request, so the nose art for this aircraft couldn't be more perfect!

nan.jpg

KB840_Nan_BW.jpg

KW48041a.jpg

I'll be following Bill's build from #18 closely to help me out with this one. I know that Mk Xs were basically Mk IIIs, but does anyone know if there are any major differences between the two that I'll have to address? It appears as though I'll be sneaking down to Nanton this Friday, the day before meeting up with Andy at the model show, so I'll be able to grab some reference pics there.

I'll have to make my own nose art decal as the only sheet that exists (unless someone finds one that I missed, which is doubtful) is in 1/48th, which is too big for my grandparent's condo. I'll also have to be careful as the instructions are for a Damnbuster aircraft, so the main thing that may throw me is the top turret as it was omitted. There also appears to be in the instructions a cylindrical item sticking out of the bottom of the nose. I can't get the plans right now to show what I mean, but I have a feeling it wasn't on normal Lancs.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I can find quickly Cory. It was a Mark III and on later batches the heavier Martin 250CE was substituted for the Nash Thomson FN-50 mounted further forward to maintain the center of gravity balance. This was standard in the British built B.VII. I'll look to see if I can find what date the changes were made and then you can compare.

cory.jpg
cory1.jpg

Martin on the left
Geo

Last edited:
Hi Cory. I'm sure you're going to Nanton to see it in person (recommended) but in the off chance you're just going to get pictures, I can save you a trip and send you what I have. I plan to take Friday off. If so and if I can make it down there, I can take you in the back room to show you our Mosquito which is currently stored in a n on public area. Te thing is that I'm getting some windows replaced at home and I may be on a leash.

Thanks gents!

Thanks a ton Bill, don't know what in the world I was searching... :oops:

fubar57 said:
This is all I know from the books I have. S/N KB732 had the FN-50 turret, S/N KB783 had the Martin.

Thanks for this info Geo, it appears as though I'll need a Martin turret, unless someone has something contradictory to your info, which I doubt.

T Bolt said:
Good one Cory. If you go with the Martin turret I have the clear kit part you can have from My B-24 build if you need it.

I really appreciate the offer Glenn, and it looks like I may need to take you up on it. I'll send you my info once we know 100%, hopefully Terry will pop in as well.

Crimea_River said:
Yeah Andy, my dad and I are coming to see the museum and I figured I'd just grab a few while we're there. It'd be great to meet up with you, and I'd certainly love to see the Mosquito! I can PM you my cell number or something if you'd like later today so we can figure it out. Not a big deal if you're not able to make it though.

There were two different engines as well. I'm not up on engines so someone will have to translate this....Packard Merlin 38, from KB700-774, 224 from KB775 onwards. This measurement was taken from the Mk.VII so I'm not sure how it stacks up to the Mk.X. The Martin turret was located 38' 5.5" from the tip of the nose to the centre of the turret. I've got the variants length somewhere.

Geo

EDIT: According to the Modellers Data File, both aircraft were the same length. As this is my only book that had dimensions in it, someone may know different.

Last edited:
Good choice Cory. Externally, the only major difference between the MkX and the MkI/III was the change from FN to Marin upper turret, which was a relatively late modification, with later versions also having the twin .50 cal 'Rose' rear turret. Overall airframe dimensions remained constant, and outwardly the engine nacelles were the same, although 'paddle' props could have been fitted earlier.
There were a few minor exterior details that were slightly different, but unless you really want to 'go to town', they're not worth bothering about. The major differences were in some internal fittings (not visible on the model) and electrical systems etc.
I'll try to check serial number batches, to see if I can ascertain which turrets was fitted, but I'm fairly sure it was the standard FN examples. I probably won't be able to post anything until Thursday though, as my PC goes in to have a bigger hard drive fitted tomorrow (Wednesday).

Build note;

If you ease into this one by working the cowlings first.
Not the shapes of the inlets on the front, they are very rudimentary, and need attention.
Drilling, filing and sanding to get them all alike.

Sorry for the delay Cory - only got my computer back yesterday afternoon.
From what I can see, your Lanc almost certainly had the original FN (.303 Browning) mid upper turret, and 'needle' props. The Squadron also operated some Mk1's, so it would make sense at that stage of the war, to standardise on ammunition and armoury procedures. I haven't yet found any pics of war time MX's with the Martin turret, which were fitted as standard on the second, late, production batch (your's is first production batch). This turret was, though, retro-fitted to many, if not all, MkX's when the aircraft returned to Canada at war's end.
Note also that the MkX had the bulged bomb bay doors, similar to the Mk II, as 6 Group were slated to carry the 8,000 lb bombs. They were also originally fitted with the twin .303 Browning ventral turret, immediately aft of the bomb bay, although I don't think your subject had this.
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back