1/72 McDonnell-Douglas A-4K Skyhawk - Your Favourite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A4K

Colonel
Dec 17, 2007
The back of beyond
User Name: A4K
Name: Evan
Category: 2 - Intermediate

Kit: Italeri A-4E/F Skyhawk
Scale: 1:72
Subject: A-4K in original configuration and scheme, serial TBD, No.75 Sqn. RNZAF.
Accessories: none; scratchbuilding.

This is my 'all-time' favourite aircraft, and one of the reasons I joined the RNZAF.

They served our (now disbanded) Nos.2 and 75 squadrons from 1970 to 2001, when the entire Strike Wing was scrapped as a cost-save measure. (Way to go, politicians)
After a 10 year debacle over sales rights, a number of the now deteriorated aircraft have thankfully been donated to various museums in New Zealand and Australia.

A Hungarian friend kindly gave me the model, already made and the worse for wear after a lengthy time in his attic...but atleast it's an A-4!
Refuelling probe and most of the undercarriage are missing, one wing warped, and forward canopy ruined; scratchbuilding a plenty - this will take time.
Roundels and fin flashes will come from a Ventura set, other markings converted from spares box items or hand painted.

Pics:
1) Major kit parts seperated and cleaned of dust.
2) Remaining parts seperated, decals and paint removed with nail polish remover.

STA51922.JPG

STA51955.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of work will be needed on that model. But all looks very good though. Keep working Evan. :thumbright: :thumbleft:

Hey, thanks guys! Will be some work, but hope to do a good job of her.

And many thanks to Wojtek (Wurger) for fixing the thread title for me! :D

Cheers Aaron!

Had considered it Terry, though usually prefer gear down on my models. Will leave that decision open for now, depending on what I can manage.
Wish I had my stuff here which is stored in NZ - got all the spares I'd need (including markings) there...

Evan, good luck with this, I have confidence it will turn out just fine.

Im very interested to watch how you transform a humpback version to the A4G/K standard. I want to attempt a g subtype, but can only find Hump back versions here in Ozs. From Ive read getting the dorsal shape right is a bit tricky. Would love to see how you do it....

Thanks Glenn, Wayne and Michael!

Mike, actually I was going to keep her in original configuration with the avionics hump. All but 10 of our A4s were purchased new, with humps fitted to the single seaters (sans equipment - pilots stored their luggage in them!). The humps were only removed in 1986/7 with the first 'Project Kahu' (Hawk) update, with the exception of course of the A-4Gs we got from you guys which never had them fitted.

And what scale are you looking for? In 1:72, Esci did an Aussie A-4G and Blue Angels A-4F, both straightbacks sans hump, as was the Fujimi A-4E/F Agressor, and Hasegawa A-4E/F, the hump provided as an optional component in the latter.
In 1:48 Hasegawa, Italeri, Esci, Monogram and Revell all made A-4E/Fs, all straight backs with humps as optional extras I think.

(No progress yet on the kit btw, been working on the watercolour painting.)

Thanks mate, glad you like it!
Did some final corrections today, pic of the finished work on the 'show us your artwork' thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back