++ **** DONE: 1/72 MiG-15bis - Military Conflicts of the 1950's

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great work john.. I cant wait to get back into the building .

I particularly like the innards that you've done, but your scribing and riveting of those tanks was also outstanding to my untrained eye

Tail planes attached...
IMG_2270_zpsbdbsg3ld.jpg

The wing joints have been puttied, sanded and primed.
IMG_2271_zpshcdyerp1.jpg

IMG_2272_zpsnmo7rbeb.jpg

I have to mask all of the openings... she's almost ready for paint.

It's looking good John.
What's your thoughts on the colour scheme ?
For the 'silver' finish on my MiG 21, I mixed a spot of gloss white with silver, to replicate the smooth, painted finish used, as the '21 (and other MiGs) weren't bare metal, and it worked very well. That was using enamels, so I don't know how well it would work with acrylics.

Thanks guys! Weekend was spent in Los Angeles so I didn't get any modeling done over the holiday.

It's looking good John.
What's your thoughts on the colour scheme ?
For the 'silver' finish on my MiG 21, I mixed a spot of gloss white with silver, to replicate the smooth, painted finish used, as the '21 (and other MiGs) weren't bare metal, and it worked very well. That was using enamels, so I don't know how well it would work with acrylics.

I'm leaning towards a camo finish for this MiG, Terry. A drop of gloss white into silver is a nice tip... something that I'll keep in mind as I really don't like the grain that I see in the Tamiya Silver acrylic. If I were to do a metallic finish, I'd use Alclad. It's the best stuff I've found to replicate a nice, grain-free, metallic finish. They have lots of colors/finishes too.

Finally got on with the preshading in preparation of the camo finish. I've decided to add the clear parts after painting. First the panel lines are traced in black.
IMG_2337_zpsy0ue1lij.jpg

IMG_2336_zpstvpxxa8e.jpg

And then the marble coat to give the paint job some depth.
IMG_2338_zps2qqnmbtw.jpg

IMG_2339_zpswaaxunws.jpg

Tamiya XF-23 Light blue is sprayed onto the undersides.
IMG_2345_zpswswsxnyq.jpg

IMG_2346_zpsbj1oinaj.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back