1/72 MiG-21bis (L-17) of Serbian AF - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

imalko

Chief Master Sergeant
Mar 2, 2009
Vojvodina, Serbia
Username: imalko
First name: Igor
Category: Category 2/Intermediate
Scale: 1:72
Manufacturer: Zvezda
Model Type: MiG-21bis (L-17)
Details: 101. lae, Batajnica Air Base, Serbia, 2012
Decals: aftermarket decals by Lift here! (Limited edition kit decals made in Serbia)

I was originally considering a G-4 Supergaleb as my entry for this Group Build, but I finaly opted for MiG-21 because this year we celebrate not only the 100th anniversary of Military Aviation in Serbia but also the 50 years of service of MiG-21 in our AF. The subject of this build is going be one of the aircraft belonging to 101. lae (lovačka avijacijska eskadrila = fighter aviation squadron) based at Batajnica. Equiped with most of our operational MiG-21 and all remaining MiG-29 fighters, the unit is tasked with defense of national airspace and air policing duties.
One more quick note. In our Air Force MiG-21bis is always referred to as L-17. The letter "L" meaning Lovac = Fighter. This practice is dating from former Yugoslav AF, where each type in service was given a custom designation.

Attachments

• hc_001.JPG
    hc_001.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 275
  • hc_002.JPG
    hc_002.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Supersonic fighters MiG-21 have been flying in our skies since December 1962 when first examples of MiG-21f-13 version were delivered from Soviet Union. Over the years Yugoslavia received the total number of 261 aircraft in 11 versions – in basic fighter configuration, as well as two-seat trainers and reconnaissance aircraft. Last examples of the type were delivered in 1983. Some 130 MiG-21s were lost in crashes and civil wars in former Yugoslavia - with 80 aircraft lost in 1964-1992, 19 in 1990-1999 and some 33 in 1999. Currently, two former Yugoslav Republics - Serbia and Croatia - still operate the type.
Today Serbian Air Force has a total number of 27 MiG-21s (23 single-seaters and 4 two-seaters). Most of these are grounded due to the expiration of technical and flight resources. Remaining aircraft which are still operational serve with 101st Fighter Aviation Squadron (101. lae) and 1st Reconaissance Flight. Two MiG-21bis fighters of 101. lae armed with R-60 infra-red air to air missiles are kept in constant readiness within Air Defence system. Another two MiG-21bis are made capable to carry two aerial cameras (Vinten 880 and V753A) in a modified drop tank for tactical reconnaissance missions. For azimuth recording of strategic value these two aircraft are also equipped with LANTRIN system with KA112A camera capable of recognizing a small scale object up to 110 km distance.
It was originally planed that all our remaining MiG-21s should be withdrawn from service next year. However, due to the economic crisis the acquisition of new multirole jets for our Air Force is repeatedly being postponed, so our elderly MiG-21s and a handful of MiG-29s will probably have to soldier on.

Several pictures from various sources (mainly internet) of MiG-21bis in Serbian AF service in the fallowing attachment...

Attachments

• hc_003.jpg
    hc_003.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 180
  • hc_004.jpg
    hc_004.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 195
  • hc_005.jpg
    hc_005.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 176
  • hc_006.jpg
    hc_006.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 182
  • hc_007.jpg
    hc_007.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 179
  • hc_008.jpg
    hc_008.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
Thanks for your comments everyone. :D

Interesting, I had no idea anybody was still flying those.

MiG-21 is still very much active with some Air Forces in Europe - Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Bulgaria (not sure if theirs are still operational though) - just to name our "neighborhood". Probably some former Soviet republics also still operate the type. Don't know for sure.

Last edited:
Awesome choice I love this bird :D. There are also some African republics and I think some Asian countires like North Korea still fly some examples of the 21

Got me going again Igor - think it's about time I did another MiG 21, and use the decals you kindly sent me. I'll have to add it to the list of 'near future' builds I think.

Glad to hear it Terry and thanks for your comment everyone. Should start work on it and have first progress shots soon.

Never kept up with Sov A/C. Looks like a big stove pipe. Plenty of opp to do a really great build.
Go man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back