1:72 Mitsubishi Ki-46-II 'Dinah' - OOB (Out of Box) unofficial GB-2015. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A4K

Colonel
Dec 17, 2007
The back of beyond
User name: A4k
Name: Evan

Subject: Mitsubishi Ki-46-II (Allied code name: 'Dinah')

Kit: Airfix Ki-46-II
Scale: 1:72
Markings: kit markings for aircraft of 81st Hiko Sentai, 1st Chutai, IJAAF, Malaya, 1942

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice, but basic kit. Parts a bit rough looking, requiring a bit of clean up work. Sparse internal details, and nothing in the undercarriage wells. Parts are 'thick', and many inaccurate (esp. engines and props). Glasswork will need filling, bad fit with unusual gaps moulded.
That aside, an example I made in 1997 went together pretty nicely, and looked the part when done. Just don't put it next to a Hasegawa kit :)

Removed and cleaned up half the parts last night, pics up soon.

STA55351.JPG

STA55663.JPG

STA55664.JPG

STA55665.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers guys!

Terry, yeah, you could be right. The spinners especially are incredibly misaligned (also in the kit I made in '97)
Maybe Airfix will eventually make a new tooling of her, as they have done with some of their other kits.

If they want to keep it in their range, they'll have to. Their new kits are superb, so they can't afford to keep pushing out kits from the 1950's and 1960's, at today's prices, if they want to get back to where they belong in the 'ratings'.

You have good eye for the best choice, A4K.

I clearly remember a day when my friend's father who used to be an IJN engineer praised his son's Ki-46 scale model saying "Shin-shitei design was cool!".
I learnt "Shin-shitei (新司偵 meaning New Command Reconnaissance Aircraft)" was a nick name for the model during war.

Thanks for the comments guys, and thanks Shinpachi for that information! She sure was a great design, beautifully aerodynamic.

Terry, agree completely mate!

Progress pics:

1. Parts off sprues and intial cleanup complete. She will be in flying attitude with gear up, to be part of a mobile I am making for my son on the way :)

2. Detail of props, showing unusual moulding. Prop on right is in process of clean up, though it will take alot of work to get them looking nice.

Glued the mainplanes and most of the cockpit components together last night, pics up soon.

STA55685.JPG

STA55686.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back