1/72 Mitsubishi Zero Type 52...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

LA2019

Airman 1st Class
Jan 11, 2009
I finished up my 1/72 scale Hobbyboss Mitsubishi Zero Type 52 fighter. Built out of the box and hand painted with Tamiya and Model Master acyril paints.

This was a fun build without any problems. This was one of Hobbyboss' "easy build" kits and I thought it was very nice with a one piece fuselage and wing. It has very nice recessed panel lines that weathered up very nicely. Cockpit detail was sparse but could be improved upon if one so desired. Overall, a very nice kit for 10 bucks.

Painting and weathering were straight forward without any problems. My only concern was trying to replicate the chipping paint look on the nose cowl and upper wing/fuselage structure. It's easy to get carried away and apply to much paint. I mimicked this effect sparingly because I was affraid I would overwhelm the overall look of the aircraft. Sometimes a little bit goes a long, long way.

Now I just need to sqeeze it onto the shelf!

ken

IMG_3075aa.jpg

IMG_3081aa.jpg

IMG_3084aa.jpg

IMG_3087aa.jpg

IMG_3090aa.jpg

IMG_3096aa.jpg

That looks absolutely super. The weathering is exactly how I personally like weathering: subtle but present. The chipping is just right in my opinion and the wash accents the panel lines without being overly dirty and it looks like you've done some delicate pastel shading. Absolutely great!

1/72nd!! 1/72nd!! 1/72nd!! 1/72nd!! 1/72nd!! 1/72nd!! 1/72nd!! 1/72nd!! 1/72nd!! 1/72nd!! 1/72nd!! 1/72nd!! 1/72nd!! 1/72nd!! 1/72nd!! 1/72nd!! 1/72nd!! 1/72nd!! 1/72nd!! 1/72nd!! 1/72nd!!

Thanks for the comments guys.

I don't quite follow the remark. Is 1/72 scale taboo around here?

It's not taboo as far as I can tell but larger scales just seem to be more popular - maybe because of the additional detail. I generally like building smaller aircraft in larger scales and larger aircraft in smaller scales.

An image of your subject flown Warrant Officer Takeo Tanimizu credited with 32 victories.

Source : The Internet

Wow, 32 kills. That's amazing.

What's also amazing is that for the rest Tanimizu's life he lamented his wartime actions and prayed daily at his small family altar for the repose of the souls he took during the war.

I wasn't aware of Tanimizu while building the kit but it does add more history and character. Thanks Wayne!

ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back