1/72 MPM Bristol Blenheim Mk1F, 600 Sqn Manston Air Base, BQ*G BoB Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dirkpitt289

Master Sergeant
Jul 16, 2009
South Plainfield New Jersey
Username: Dirkpitt289
Name: Dirk
Category: Beginner
Scale: 1/72 Scale
Kit: MPM Bristol blenheim Mk1
Accessories: Kit supplied Resin, Kit supplied Photo Etch, Owl Decals, Home Defense Pt 1

History

The Bristol Blenheim, the most plentiful aircraft in the RAFs inventory when WWII began, was designed by Frank Barnwell, and when first flown in 1936 was unique with its all metal monoplane design incorporating a retractable undercarriage, wing flaps, metal props, and supercharged engines. A typical bomb load for a Blenheim was 1,000 pounds. In the early stages of the war Blenheims were used on many daylight bombing missions. While great heroism was displayed by the air crews, tremendous losses were sustained during these missions. The Blenhiem was easy pickings at altitude for German Bf-109 fighters who quickly learned to attack from below. To protect the vulnerable bellies of the Blenheims many missions were shifted to low altitude, but this increased the aircrafts exposure to anti-aircraft fire.

Specifications

Type: Fighter/ Fighter Bomber
Power Plant: 2x Bristol Mercury VIII 840hp radial
Max Speed (Sea Level): 237 mph (381 Kph)
Max Speed (10,000 ft): 263 Mph (423 Kph)
Crusing Speed: 215 Mph (346 Kph)
Max Range: 1,050 miles (1,690 Km)
Armament (Port Wing): 1x .303 Browning Machine Gun
Armament (C Fairing): 4x Browning Machine Guns
Armament (Turret) 1x Vickers K303 machine Gun
Wingspan: 56ft 4in
Length: 39ft 9in
height: 9ft 10in

600 Squadron RAF

No. 600 (City of London) Squadron RAuxAF is a squadron of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force. Formed in 1925 as a reserve squadron recruiting from the vicinity of London to supplement the Royal Air Force's strength in time of war, 600 Squadron operated as a night fighter squadron during the Second World War. After the end of the war, it reverted to a reserve squadron, flying day fighters until the Royal Auxiliary Air Forces flying squadrons were disbanded in 1957.

No 600 is the only squadron in the RAF to have two official badges
In front of an increscent, a sword on bend
The crescent moon represents thesquadron's night-fighter activities whilst the sword commemorates the connection with the city of London
The City of London arms, overflown by an eagle
Also known as 'the dust-cart crest'

600SqnCrest-1.png

Motto

Praeter sescentos (Translation: "More than six hundred")

The Kit

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

Kit decals (No to be used)

IMG_0488.jpg

Resin kit parts and Photo etch

IMG_0484.jpg

The cockpit Mask

IMG_0482.jpg

Owl Decals

IMG_0481.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great choice Dirk. Was trying to hunt down a Blenheim Mk IV in 1/48 in case I had time for a second entry. Looking forward to this one. Looks liike a well supplied kit.

Nice one Dirk, great to see a Blenheim 1 in the GB, I' thought of doing one in 1/48th scale, but got too much to do already.
BTW, note that the Auxilliary Air Force didn't become Royal (RAuxAF) until 1947, the Royal cipher being bestowed as recognition for the duties carried out during WW2.

Nice choice Dirk! I always liked the looks of the Mk.1 with that blunt nose. I didn't know there was a 1/72 kit of it available. I'm sure the level of detail is going to be about 5 steps over the Airfix Mk.V

Good to see a Blenheim DP, should look good in the all black scheme. 8)

Cheers

Peter

Yes, but strictly speaking it does not qualify as the BoB. Night fighters were not painted black until the end of November 1940. On 22nd November 1940 it was orderd that night fighters would be painted in Special Night RDM2 overall and cary the same national insignia amd markings as appeared on night bombers. Before that night fighters were painted the same as day fighters.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 364
Yes, but strictly speaking it does not qualify as the BoB. Night fighters were not painted black until the end of November 1940. On 22nd November 1940 it was orderd that night fighters would be painted in Special Night RDM2 overall and cary the same national insignia amd markings as appeared on night bombers. Before that night fighters were painted the same as day fighters.

Interesting that the pic of L8679 seems to show reversed fin flash colours.

The stripe nearest the rudder is clearly a lighter tone than the colour closest to the fin leading edge. Since red typically shows up lighter than roundel blue (see the fuselage roundel for an example), it seems feasible that the fin flash colours might have been reversed on this airframe. It's clearly a locally-applied marking as it's very non-standard.

Like I said, interesting pic....

Don't know how, but you sneaked this one past me Dirk. I like your selection, nice to have a bit of a heavy in the GB

I see what you mean about the tones Buffnut. However, although not impossible, it's unlikely the stripes of the National Colours would have been reversed. The tone for the red (leading edge) looks basically correct, and is a close match for the red centre of the roundel. The blue stripe, at the trailing edge, does look paler, I agree, and certainly not the same as the darker blue of the roundel. I think this is probably the effect of lighting on the angle of the fin, and could also be caused by the type of film used. It might also be a result of one of the markings, probably the roundel, having been re-painted, the fresher paint appearing darker.

Ok, I've gotten my bench and some of my projects to a place where I feel I'm ready to start work on the Mk1.

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

As usual I started with the cockpit. Here I'm bending the Photoetch rudder pedals into shape and attaching to the resin deck.

IMG_0673.jpg

The Rudder pedals are now in place

IMG_0674.jpg

This is the back side of the instrument plaque. I painted it white to help high light the gauges in the front.

IMG_0675.jpg

Here are the three cockpit panels (Cockpit floor, Back wall, top shelf) painted and weathered

IMG_0676.jpg

Here the cockpit is assembeled along with the PE harnesses for both the pilot seat and the jump seat.

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

Cockpit attached to the fuselage

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

Till next time thanks for looking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back