1/72 Northrop P-61 Black Widow - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

woljags

Staff Sergeant
Dec 28, 2010
maidenhead uk
username;woljags
first name;bob
category;beginner
scale 1/72nd
manufacturer;frog
model type;P61 Northrop Black Widow "double trouble"
extras/soob with scratch built cockpit detail

This is my frog Black Widow kit "double trouble" dated from 1965,i have quite a few internal shot of these so i plan to have a go at building the cockpit up from scratch using lead, card and scrap sprue and i plan to take my time to try to get it right,fingers crossed

Last edited by a moderator:
bob4420.jpg

bob4415.jpg

bob4419.jpg

this is going to be a challenge for me as i don't have the smallest of hands plus my eye sight is not as good these days but here goes

bob4422.jpg

bob4413.jpg

bob4412.jpg

bob4417.jpg

bob4414.jpg

bob4421.jpg

bob4423.jpg

bob4418.jpg

progress so far tonight,not many parts to put the main structure together on this one,basically wings and tail glued in place with replacement cockpit floor in lead to hold down the nose properly,cockpit dahboard also made of lead glued in place ,then cockpit interior painted in interior green colour,using sprue and card a joystick then made for detailing as there are not any bits like this supplied in the kit,hopefully more tomorrow night after work as there's nothing on the tele i'm interested in now days,

thanks for looking

bob4426.jpg

bob4428.jpg

bob4424.jpg

bob4427.jpg

bob4425.jpg

bob4429.jpg

a bit more of what i did tonight to bring progress totally up to date,tomorrow i plan to do the rear cockpit of the gunner and get started on the radar operators position

Wow, this one is coming together quickly, it's one of my favourites Bob and one day I'll get me a kit.

thanks Vic,after leaving over night to dry over breakfast i applied the cut down instrument panel decal over the painted dash to try to get the correct look of a cockpit main instrument panel not that you can see much in this scale with the canopy on,plus i added a couple of fine strips of paper to look like engine throttle levers

Yep.. with all here. But one tip for future projects Bob. If you make a pilot's panel from scratch drill with a thin drill bit shallow apertures at points where indicatores were. Then put in them very small drops of a thinned white paint to fill holes. In the way you will get a nice rounded clock faces ( dials ) of indicators.

Are you going to add the dorsal turret? I have made it with a wooden former and wrapped warmed plastic plate.

watermark.php

watermark.php

33916.jpg

33915.jpg

33914.jpg

thanks Wojtek what a great tip,i have slightly changed the dash since the last pics were posted by adding a decal over the painted surface so that the paint shows through the decal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back