1/72 Revell He 177 A-5

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gak

Airman
May 11, 2011
Pula, Croatia
I have this kit for several years now, and I finally decided to build it. I'm trying to improve my skill, and start building decent models, so all the tips, advices and critiques are more than welcome!
P5190001.JPG

Currently working on a hull. Basic putty work.
P5190005.JPG

I didn't detail the cockpit as much. I've seen a completed model, and cockpit area if barely visible. I will add some wires coming out of instrument panel

P5190002.JPG

Rear gunner area
P5190008.JPG

Some more sanding and putty work is required. I try to avoid sanding as much as possible, due to damage to plastic. I rather use "Radar Alcohol" and piece of cloth, which removes putty, but does no damage to plastic. In some areas you still have to use sand paper, but only as a final touch.
P5190012.JPG

I painted landing gear flat black and then drybrushed stone gray. I'm not to happy with it. I'll try to use technique with rapidograph type ink pen, that I saw somewhere here on forum, if I ever manage to find that thread again!
P5190010.JPG

Masking
P5190009.JPG

Wings are just glued, now I have to shape leading edges and engine area
P5190016.JPG

If anyone knows easy way to sand inside these holes, I'm all ears
P5190004.JPG

P5190007.JPG

P5190015.JPG

There's a little gap between windows and a hull. What's the best way to fill this?
P5190014.JPG

P5190013.JPG

Last edited:
Good work so far. To fill the small gaps around the windows, use a thin bead of Micro 'Kristal Klear', or PVA glue, and wipe off the excess with a wet finger. It should 'sink' into the gap, drying clear, and can be painted over.

Looks pretty good so far. I actually really like the gear struts and am not sure why you're dissatisfied. I don't recall the post talking about the Rapidograph pen but if you find it, please share. As to the sanding in the recessed hole, have you thought of just cutting a circle from very thin card and gluing that over everything?

Wonderful kit. Got one sitting in the stash as well so it'll be interesting to see how this one comes along.

A little hint regarding the clearparts on the front end of the fuselage. I do hope you've dryfit the clearparts as they have a particularly bad fit on these Revell HE-177 kits. The fuselage and clearparts will probably need considerable trimming in order to get a half decent fit on the clearparts in the front.

Last edited:
Good work so far. To fill the small gaps around the windows, use a thin bead of Micro 'Kristal Klear', or PVA glue, and wipe off the excess with a wet finger. It should 'sink' into the gap, drying clear, and can be painted over.

I don't have experience with Kristal Klear, I googled it and I think it should be really useful in this kit! I ordered one from eBay right away, it should arrive in a week or so.

Looks pretty good so far. I actually really like the gear struts and am not sure why you're dissatisfied. I don't recall the post talking about the Rapidograph pen but if you find it, please share. As to the sanding in the recessed hole, have you thought of just cutting a circle from very thin card and gluing that over everything?

I'm not completely dissatisfied, but I'll add brake fluid line and emphasize the shadow areas with rapidograph, and blend the whole thing with another layer of really thinned stone gray. I think that should look better in the end. I found this rapidograph/ink method interesting, since I didn't have much luck with "classic" washes so far. It's either poor reaction with color/cote, or the wash doesn't flow, or something... I have to work on that. I just need to find that guide again!!! I really think it was in someones Start to finish thread, but I'm not sure anymore.

Actually, I didn't think of that! It would've saved me a lot of time! I managed to sand it somehow,but I might just do it anyway...

Wonderful kit. Got one sitting in the stash as well so it'll be interesting to see how this one comes along.

A little hint regarding the clearparts on the front end of the fuselage. I do hope you've dryfit the clearparts as they have a particularly bad fit on these Revell HE-177 kits. The fuselage and clearparts will probably need considerable trimming in order to get a half decent fit on the clearparts in the front.

I've noticed that! I actually had to scratch build two round gunner windows on the hull belly. I'm putting a lot of hope in Kristal Klear!

nice ,i've an airfix he177 somewhere in the collection so i'm very interested in how yours turns out,love the detailing

Looks like everyone has one including me! I'll be watching. Looks real nice so far. I'd be happy with those gear legs even if they were in 1/48th, but in 1/72nd they are excellent.

I've done some work over the last few days. The model progresses slowly since I don't have much time lately, but there's no rush... Now I'm practically waiting for Kristal Klear to arrive so that I can proceed with canopies and painting...

P5260007.JPG

I' added brake fluid lines to the landing gear.

P5270009.JPG

I've redone the paint-job, and now it looks like this. Now I'm happy with it :p

P5230001.JPG

The wheels needed some adjustments as well...

Warpaint 33 - He 177- Trap a.jpg

They should look like this

P5290009.JPG

So I drilled the hole in the middle of the wheel and added fluid line

P5240002.JPG

Navigation light was incorrect as well

Wydawnictwo Militaria 46 - He177 Greif-32.jpg

It should look like this. So I've cut the wing into right shape, and now I'm waiting for Kristal Klear to arrive, so I can finish it

Airlife - He 177, 277, 274- Trap-46.jpg

It made no sense to me why those holes I had trouble sanding should even be there, so I did a little research, and guess what, they shouldn't. Note to self - Next time do the research before you spend a day sanding the bloody thing! :|

P5240003.JPG

It turned out that diameter of a paper drill fits right in it, so I had no trouble covering it. Some luck after all!

P5280014.JPG

Parts fitting is generally OK, but if you want to have the bomb bay closed, some heavy sanding is required

P5280011.JPG

I also added proper connections to the instrument panel. I used 0,1mm copper wire, and I'm quite happy how it turned out when I painted it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back