1:72 Scale F4F-3 Wildcat. USS Lexington. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

[SC] Arachnicus

Senior Airman
May 1, 2012
West Chester OH
wc72.jpg

My just completed Wildcat. Yes it's probably a bit too blue.

I thought the landing gear looked to extended also. I even trimmed it down a bit. Oh well, I can live with it. Next build is a 1:48 spitfire.

MkII A.S.C. Lumsden, No. 118(F) Squadron, 1941.

You wouldn't happen to know the Model Master enamel light blue color number of the underside, would you?

Nice build. The paint doesn't look to blue and the gear doesn't really look to extended but it does make it look like a Hobby Boss kit. The only thing I actually see is that it is a -4 not a -3. The F4F-3 had four machine guns. The series started with six in the F4F-4. Is there a wing fold?

And that is an F4F-4 pitot tube. The -3's pitot tube was a straight spear type out of the leading edge of the left wing, about half way between the outboard gun and the wing tip . . . that would be the outboard gun of the two guns in the -3's wing. On the other hand, though, you were careful to pick up on LAG use of nine stripes on the rudder vice the regulation thirteen . . . unfortunately, if that's a VF-3 insignia below the windscreen, and I think it is, VF-3 was a SAG squadron and used the regulation thirteen stripes. The LAG squadron, VF-2, did not sport a squadron insignia in the non-spec blue-grey camouflage.

No need to apologise Arachnicus, it's your model and entirely up to you how you build it. The comments above are useful to those of us who might want to build the kit and accurise it, but beyond that no reflection on you or your modelling abilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back