1/72 Stinson/Vultee L-1 Vigilant - Jet/Recon/Transport GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

destrozas

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 12, 2010
username destrozas
frist name sergio
Category intermediate
scale 1/72
manufacturer MPM
model type O-49 / L-1 vigilant
aftermarket none, armed with box

history
The beginning of World War II found the U.S. Army Air Corps with a number of transitional types still in front-line service, like the O-47 and the A-13. These were aircraft whose roles had been made obsolete by the new nature of warfare and by technological advance by America's enemies. The Vigilant was designed in response to a 1938 United States Army Air Corps design competition for a two-seat light observation aircraft. When the German-manufactured Fieseler Storch was demonstrated at the Cleveland Air Races, the Air Corps revised its specifications in an attempt to match the performance of the Storch.The aircraft was built of steel tubing and fabric, with the fuselage forward of the wing enclosed in sheet metal. Control surfaces and the empennage were fabric-covered stainless steel. The Lycoming power plant was hand-cranked inertia starting, and was fitted with a Hamilton Standard constant speed propeller.
On the cusp of that category was the O-49 Vigilant, built in 1940 to augment the USAAC's two-seat observation fleet. The O-49 was a braced high-winged monoplane that seated two. Powered by a 285-hp Lycoming R-680-9 engine, the O-49 had excellent low-speed characteristics thanks to large-span flaps and leading-edge slats that spanned nearly the length of the wings.
142 O-49s were followed by 182 O-49As. In 1942, their designations changed to L-1 and L-1A, and some were supplied to the British under lend-lease.
Unlike the O-47, the low-speed characteristics of the L-1 kept it from being relegated to training duties. It was used throughout the Pacific and Europe for artillery spotting duties, liaison and medical evacuation. Still, its success was tempered by the arrival of the lighter, faster and more versatile L-5 Sentinel.

models
The decals offer four planes. First is an L-1 used in Alaska in 1942 in a sand/olive drab over azure blue scheme, which seems dubious, since the aircraft on the boxtop wears the same markings except for light gray undersides. Besides, how often are the skies azure blue in Alaska? Option 2 is for a medical evacuation aircraft in overall aluminum dope seen near Remagen in May 45. The third aircraft is an OD-over-neutral gray machine based in Burma. The final option is an O-49 in a similar scheme but with white wing tips and white circles for cockades from the Louisiana Maneuvers on 1941. The decals are printed sharply and in register and are complete down to the propeller maker's logos.

I decided from the beginning by the Alaska-based model in 1942 from the day I saw him, as we call here the lizard schemes are very pretty and colorful.
I tried to find some information of the aircraft on missions that have been conducted but bno able to find specific information, I guess to invade Japan Aleutian Islands, they would be controlling the movements of troops and ships.

model

bb3ac125.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys.

This will be a project of which I like because I manufacture a support for the wings without having to stick them to transparent, according to the few photos I could get the device looks pretty clear that the wings were attached by the structure that was pexiglas upper and model not only if it does not bring the wings on its binding this hollow transparent what you would see everything I put some pictures so you can see as the real model
Anchorage Museum (alaska):

facing_forward_tb.jpg
right_side_tb.jpg

Stinson_L-1_Pickup.JPG

and

5490_zpsa0dd7a07.jpg

5493_zps7eeb4739.jpg

I put the first photos of the interior, I modified seats that had plenty of leftovers in a box to make the padded seat.

IMG_0046_zpsce06e6c0.jpg

IMG_0045_zpsb75300bc.jpg

Last edited:
Nice one, and it sure does look like a member of the AN-2 family.
Got to take the controls of a Stinson Reliant once, we did wing over turn, it was like sitting in a Lazy Boy chair.

and going forward the model structure of the cabin side of both sides is almost finished, is the top that is what has to distribute the weight of the wings of the structure, I have already tested and according to this structure produces not no fording of etructura (the structure) so qeu (that) theme is almost done, with the technique after spending acetates to place in my RC models acetate paper instead of foil but have the same grososr elpapel (paper thickness) as acetate is more manageable and easier modeling.

IMG_0031-1_zps424b99b5.jpg

IMG_0030-1_zps87695d58.jpg

the wings are ready to be colocadar (settled) in position.

IMG_0029-1_zps17f4aed7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back