1/72nd Academy Hawker Typhoon Mk. IB Age 9

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Matt308

Glock Perfection
Apr 12, 2005
Washington State
Modelled by Aaron, Age 9

More pics to come with rockets installed.

Attachments

• DSCF2121.JPG
    DSCF2121.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCF2122.JPG
    DSCF2122.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 162
  • DSCF2123.JPG
    DSCF2123.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 163
Airframes, he used a chalk wash product for the panel lines. Much easier than pencil and pastels.

I'll relate the kind words to him guys. Thanks. Oh the man he painted came from the Super Stearman kit. He was a "wing walker". Aaron wanted to paint him up as a ground handler. He really wanted him to be stepping off the wing as a pilot celebrating victory, but I convinced him that would be much more difficult for him to pose. But he's thinkin'!

I say hes about due for a 1:24.. :D. Nice work Aaron, keep it up and you'll be one of the best in the future years.!

Certainly seems like Aaron is thinking ahead Matt. Next time around, I guess he'll be doing that pilot climbing out, or in, complete with parachute! Great work again - you'll have to be careful, or Aaron will be costing you a fortune in kits etc!

Great job Aaron. I hope to see some more of your work soon.

Just a thought Matt........If he wanted to use the figure as a pilot celebrating a victory, if possible, get him a second figure so he could see what works and what doesn't.

If he wanted to use the figure as a pilot celebrating a victory, if possible, get him a second figure so he could see what works and what doesn't.

That figure came from this old 70's kit that I modified. Here's a pic of a wingwalker on a Super Stearman. Kinda stupid if you ask me. Not my bag.

I've been looking for a set of handlers/maintenance/pilots figures in 1/72nd, but haven't found any. If anyone has some ideas, I'm all ears.

Attachments

• DSCF1979.JPG
    DSCF1979.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 0609004_1.jpg
    0609004_1.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 122
Matt, don't know if they're available in the 'States, but the old Airfix 1/72nd scale figures are still going under the Heller lable. I think they still do the following sets, all WW2:-
USAAF
RAF
Luftwaffe
Plus Modern RAF (NATO).
Each set contains around 40 figures/equipment, with aircrew, ground crew in various poses, and there are also some other parts, such as starter trolleys, in some sets. They are well moulded in hard polythene, but, with the small base of each figure removed, and with careful painting, they look very good.
I know that Model Hobbies in the UK stock them, so if you need any, and have trouble getting them in the US, let me know; I can send some from here. I've actually got a couple of figures, in hard plastic, from some of the airfield vehicle sets, so if there's anything specific you want, again let me know, and I'll see if I've got it/them.

Appreciate it, Airframes. I'll take a look to see what MegaHobby might have under the Heller moniker. Funny you mention Heller. I'm thinking of doing their old 70s 1/72nd kit for the F6F-5 just for kicks.

Just checked Matt. Heller still list the USAAF, RAF and Luftwaffe WW2 figures, but the modern RAF set doesn't seem to be available at the moment. Hasegawa also do a modern ground equipment set (Houchin starters etc.), which also contains ground handler figures, and another set of weapons loading equipment. Airfix do some 'diorama' sets, with vehicles, which include figures, both modern and WW2, and at least one of them (I think the USAAF set) includes a Nissen (Quonset) hut.
The Heller figure sets are around £4.50 in the UK, whilst the Hasegawa Ground Equipment set, with figures, is around £6. Hope this helps mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back