109 Down... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If you follow the international warbird scene at all you may be familiar with 'Red 7', the Bf 109G-4 (actually a converted Buchon) which was restored to airworthy condition fairly recently. If you haven't seen this beauty, here she is...

Red7001b.jpg

Image source/credit: unknown web

Unfortunately, she crashed yesterday... pilot is okay...

Bruchlandung der alten 'Me 109' (Crash landing of the old ' ME 109 ')

30.000 Arbeitstunden Restauration in Trümmern (30,000 work hours of restoration in rubble)

If you don't know German you can use an online translator such as Babel Fish to read the article.

Fade to Black...

A real shame. Good thing the pilot is okay but still - it's always sad to lose a warbird.

AHHHHH! that totally sucks! It's good the pilot ok, OK but my god a restored G-4 gone!

There was an Emil flying in California prior to my departure in the spring of 2003. I saw "white 14" fly in Mojave - and supposedly Hans Joaquin Marselle flew it!

Evan - if you read this, has it ever gone into Camarillo?

I saw marseille's 109E several years ago over Chino. Great experience and then first hand close-up of the unit.

The 109G-4 Merlin enigne seized and the pilot took it down or tried to but it was not pilot error as originally thought....sad shame

FLYBOYJ said:
There was an Emil flying in California prior to my departure in the spring of 2003. I saw "white 14" fly in Mojave - and supposedly Hans Joaquin Marselle flew it!
That ship is now part of 'The Russell Group' and is hangared in Niagara Falls, Ontario about 30-40 minutes away from me...

More info about the Russell Group HERE...

Here's a few shots a pal of mine took at the Russell Group Show last month...

859099.gif

859100.gif

869338.gif

You can see some more shots of 'White 14' at the following links...

Russell Air Group Show - 3 June 2005
Bf109E-4 W.Nr 3579

The second link also has three videos.

Fade to Black...

Man, I hate to see that happen. Thank god the pilot is okay. I don't know if we have had a 109 visit Camarillo in the last few years, but I haven't seen one there in about 6 years or so. I did see one at Van Nuys, back when they used to actually fly at that show. It's like Hawthorne now, just a bunch of static displays.

Yep - that's it! It was at Mojave for a long time, when the museum's restoration hangar was there I used to walk over there all the time and watch the progress as I worked just down the ramp. When it flew it always seemed they were real cautiose with it. Mojave airport was always really windy (30 - 40 mph common wind speeds) so they only flew it on calm days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back