112 year old shipwreck found in Lake Michigan

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Awesome find, thanks!

That's a real find
I hope they float it, a perfectly preserved snapshot of one day 112 years ago. What was going on in the turn of 19th century America? Hopefully, this might be revealed in the accoutrements and knick-knacks of the period if they're as well preserved as the hull.

Pretty exciting

Yes, amazing. Did everyone read there are 500 dive worthy ships not yet accounted for in Lake Michigan ALONE? That is more amazing to me. Imagine how many undiscovered wrecks there are in all 5 Great Lakes combined!

Wonder if they recovered the ship's bell...from what I've read, that is the penultimate in ship ID (not to mention prestige for the diver him/herself). Also find it kinda odd...my ex-wife's maiden name was Doty. Rather prophetic, actually...

No problem guys, and yes Shnipachi, I believe the ship is a little bit older then Titanic, around the turn of the 20th century.

RA: Do you think they'll rope this shipwreck off like they did to the Edmund Fitzgerald in Lake Superior?

No problem guys, and yes Shnipachi, I believe the ship is a little bit older then Titanic, around the turn of the 20th century.

RA: Do you think they'll rope this shipwreck off like they did to the Edmund Fitzgerald in Lake Superior?

Don't know if they'll need to it. It's pretty deep, 300ft. Too far for recreational divers and experienced divers wouldn't bother.

I agree with Tim. The depth will keep your average recreational diver away, and probably most of the souvenir hunters too. I'd have to ask my brother, he's a diver, but from what I've read, dives that depth are more hassle than they're worth just to bring up a plate or fork or two.

the great lakes are the "bermuda triangle" of the north. lots of shipwrecks, plane disappearances, etc. the cold, fresh water preserves them in it pristine condition. there are countless wrecks that are recreational dives (0 -60ft)....some are advanced ( 60-120) and a lot are technical dives ( 120+)...all are FREAKING COLD dives. however, the cold, fresh water preserves the wrecks like the day they went down. boys, i know of a few warbirds that have vanished there. and i would bet...are in just as pristine condition. if we can find them.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back