#12 Aircraft in Foreign Service group build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nxthanos

Senior Airman
Jun 11, 2011
I notice there is no 'general purpose' thread for this to talk about the build, so here is one for it.

I have 4 projects in no particular order that i want for this build:

Lindberg 1/48 Gloster gladiator in Finiish winter war colors..have the kit and decals, the only thing hiolding me back is fear of the rigging!

IDEA 1/48 P-40E In Soviet servive..the kit arrived (it appears to be a knockoff of the otaki molding) and am waiting for the decals, if I don't like the way they look, the back up is a Monogram pro modeller P-40E in Austrailian colors. I want only one P-40 for this build though.

Airfix 1/48 Hurricane MkI in belgian service..awaiting the kit which has the decals as a bonus off ebay, haven't seen them so don't know if they are good or not. but the idea of a belgian Hurri excites me.

ICM 1/48 Spitfire Mk VIII in Australian service...This came with US decals but i have a beautiful set for a North west territories australian machine with a shark mouth.

That is the plan but knowing me, it could change!

Just be warned, the otaki would be a better option than the pro modeler, you get this monster gap inbetween the wings if you install it properly :D so big you can almost drive your car through :D, you'll have to use like half the bottle of tamiya putty to get er done right :)

And watch it with the ICM Spit kit - it's a superb kit, but needs a lot of attention and planning. See the builds Andy and I did to spot the pitfalls.

Yup, that's true. And actually, I may have a go at an Aussi Spit VIII myself as I have the ICM kit in the stash. However, I definitely want to finish the 410 first before I commit.

The rigging on the Gladiator is really not that bad. As long as you are good at drilling small holes and then filling them in, it's pretty easy. Regardless of what you choice, good luck!

And watch it with the ICM Spit kit - it's a superb kit, but needs a lot of attention and planning. See the builds Andy and I did to spot the pitfalls.
Yup, that's true. And actually, I may have a go at an Aussi Spit VIII myself as I have the ICM kit in the stash. However, I definitely want to finish the 410 first before I commit.
I'll have to agree with both you guys. The Mk VIII I'm doing looks great now, but it didn't exactly fall together. Especially forward of the firewall. But that won't stop me from making the other one I still have in my stash at some point.

Just be warned, the otaki would be a better option than the pro modeler, you get this monster gap inbetween the wings if you install it properly :D so big you can almost drive your car through :D, you'll have to use like half the bottle of tamiya putty to get er done right :)
That's why its pro!

Links would help, but I have worked on Tauro kits, so i know how bad things can get.

The rigging on the Gladiator is really not that bad. As long as you are good at drilling small holes and then filling them in, it's pretty easy. Regardless of what you choice, good luck!
Nope, don't have a tiny drill.

I will muddle my way through however!

Thanks, I would never do as much super detail work as you guys do.

It seems the main problem is fit on the wings and such.

I may bump one of the projects mentioned as i forgot i have a P-36 in finnish colors I have been wanting to make!

Okay Chaps

I'm thinking of doing a ATAIU - SEA A6M5 zero but I believe they buzzed around in these after close of hostilities. Do you think it's eligible for this group build?

Cheers

183036.jpg

Okay Chaps

I'm thinking of doing a ATAIU - SEA A6M5 zero but I believe they buzzed around in these after close of hostilities. Do you think it's eligible for this group build?

Cheers

183036.jpg

It IS an aircraft in foreign markings Peter! So go for it, hasegawa's old A6M5 kit had these markings....I think? have one in the pile somewhere with captured markings...

It IS an aircraft in foreign markings Peter! So go for it, hasegawa's old A6M5 kit had these markings....I think? have one in the pile somewhere with captured markings...

You're correct Wayne, there was a Hase version. I've got the new Tamiya A6M5 lined up along with some Rising Decals - Dying Sun Part 3, which has the ATAIU-SEA markings, along with a couple of other choices.

Cheers

Peter

A quick question for the judges overlooking this groupbuild.

I'm wondering if an AVG P40C Tomahawk would meet the requirements for joining this GB? I was thinking, it's all American produced and flown, but they carry Chinese markings/were part of the Nat.Chinese airforce right? So in foreign service I suppose. Well, hope some of you judges can answer my question and hopefully I can join and get started.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back