13/14 Janaury 1945 RAF op (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Erich

the old Sage
May 20, 2004
Platonic Sphere
3./14.1.1945
Nordsee
Leichter Kreuzer Nürnberg (Kpt.z.S. Gießler) und Minenschiff Linz (FKpt. Abel), die Zerstörer Friedrich Ihn und Theodor Riedel, die Torpedoboote T 19 und T 20 sowie 7 Boote der 8. R-Flottille bringen im Skagerak die defensive Minensperre Nr.39 »Titus I« aus. Ein brit. Luftangriff wird abgewehrt. – Der norw. Frachter Vaga (1615 BRT) wird zwischen Bergen und Kopenhagen von Halifax ,C' der RAF-Sq. 58 durch Bomben-Nahtreffer versenkt (Minenschiffe, 8.5.1).

anyone have more on this operation to bomb these ships as the layed out the minefield ? am going to assume this was a day op on the KM shipping ?

thanks for any assistance guys

Erich ~

This is what I found....

RAF History - Bomber Command 60th Anniversary

14 January 1945
134 Lancasters of No 3 Group attacked the railway yards at Saarbrücken in clear visibility and without loss.

14/15 January 1945
573 Lancasters and 14 Mosquitos of Nos 1, 5. 6 and 8 Groups carried out two attacks, 3 hours apart, on the synthetic oil plant at Leuna. The attacks caused severe damage throughout the plant. Albert Speer, in his post-war interrogations, stated that this was one of a group of most damaging raids on the synthetic-oil industry carried out during this period. 10 Lancasters lost.

151 aircraft - 136 Halifaxes, 12 Mosquitos, 3 Lancasters - of Nos 6 and 8 Groups attacked the railway yards at Grevenbroich. The raid was successful and no aircraft were lost.

115 aircraft - 100 Halifaxes, 12 Mosquitos, 3 Lancasters - of Nos 4 and 8 Groups attempted to bomb a Luftwaffe fuel-storage depot at Dülmen, near Münster, but most of the bombing fell in open country south and south-east of the target. Only slight damage was caused to the fuel dump. 1 Halifax lost.

Support and 126 training aircraft on a diversionary sweep over the North Sea, 83 Mosquitos to Berlin and 9 to Mannheim, 58 RCM sorties, 54 Mosquito patrols, 21 Halifaxes and 10 Lancasters minelaying off Oslo and in the Kattegat. 1 Lancaster from the diversionary sweep and 1 Mosquito of No 100 Group were lost; 3 Mosquitos from the Berlin raid crashed in Belgium and 1 RCM Liberator crashed in Holland. A further 7 aircraft from the sweep and 5 Mosquitos from the Berlin raid crashed in England because of bad weather.

Total effort for the night: 1,214 sorties, 17 aircraft (1.4 per cent) lost and 14 aircraft crashed in England.

thanks guys, was told this morn that 1 mine ship layed 185 mines of the EMR type and that all attacks by air were beaten off whatever that may mean, am supposing by AA from the supporting "heavy" ships.

Mark have sent you a private. Njaco thanks for the BC run down for the two dates, now to decipher just which one tried to stop the mine laying.

E ~

I just noticed that what I posted was for 14 Jan so that night op may be 14/15 Jan. Check the link for the 13 Jan and you might get closer.

Hope it helps.

well more info: the Linz layed "fake" mines to thwart mine cleaning while the heavy ships layed mines along the stretch, and the R-Boots provided min protection.

Njaco I have the info from Middlebrooks thick volume on BC ops and checked on Chorleys 1945 volume but see no missing/destroyed BC craft... still see no coverage about this op.

thanks Mark, noted Hugh's lengthy reply.

most appreciated friend !

E ~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back