13 things that saved Apollo 13

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Excellent find!

Thanks. And by coincidence, yesterday I had bought the blu-ray version of Apollo 13. Great timing.

Can vividly remember how in April of 1970 most the world's, certainly America's attention, was riveted to the hour by hour events unfolding for the Apollo 13 crew. Bringing them back safely was, and still is, NASA's finest hour.

TO

My hat's off to all those (on the ground and up in space) who pioneered the early space-flight years. One day we'll look back, as we do now when viewing the Wright brothers' flyer, and wonder how mankind ever managed to survive the rigors of space in such clunky, bailing-wire-and-duct-tape machines. How? Our folks had balls.

:salute:

My hat's off to all those (on the ground and up in space) who pioneered the early space-flight years. One day we'll look back, as we do now when viewing the Wright brothers' flyer, and wonder how mankind ever managed to survive the rigors of space in such clunky, bailing-wire-and-duct-tape machines. How? Our folks had balls.

:salute:

Just remember that today's "state of the art" is tomorrow's antiquated/obsolete eqipment. ;)

Wheels

Yeah, I know....its fascinating, though, thinking about what's coming down the assembly line that's gonna make today's hi-tech into tomorrow's museum pieces.

Our laptops, probably our cell phones, have more power than the computers aboard the Apollo spacecraft that went to the moon.

Mind boggling!

TO

No probably to it TO.
I am not sure about the cell phones but your computer definitely has more computing power than the Apollo Spacecraft.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that one of today's home computers has more computing power than all the computers in mission control.

How powerful was the Apollo 11 computer?

When the IBM PC "XT" was released in 1981, the lowest end configuration had 8 times more memory than Apollo's Guidance Computer -- 16k, vs the Apollo's 2k. The read-only storage of the AGC was 32k,

The IBM PC XT also ran at a dizzying clock speed of 4.077MHz. That's 0.004077 GHz. The Apollo's Guidance Computer was a snail-like 1.024 MHz in comparison, and it's external signaling was half that -- actually measured in Hz (1/1000th of 1 MHz, much as 1 MHz is 1/1000 of 1 GHz).

Ten Things You Didn't Know About the Apollo 11 Moon Landing | Popular Science

2. The Apollo computers had less processing power than a cellphone.

Wheels

Y'know the primativeness of that spacecraft was on their side too. In those days people had a type of ingenuity to problem solving whereas nowadays machines are too sophisticated and people play so little role that most normal people would be too daunted to try and solve the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back