136 Woodpecker Burma Squadron

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MaxCamps

Airman
Oct 6, 2010
Hi
I am new to this!
My wife's uncle was Bob Cross who flew with 136 Squadron in Burma. I would like to commission a model of his Spitfire. I obviously want the markings to be as accurate as possible. Could anyone point me in the direction of where I might find photos/details of period markings of 136 aircraft or better stil pics of Bob's Spit?
Any help would be much appreciated
Max

Max,

Have you read "The Woodpecker Story" by Sqn Ldr V K Jacobs? It's the wartime history of 136 Sqn and includes at least one pic showing the unit's Spitfires. It might even mention your wife's uncle.

Cheers,
Mark

I have moved it from the Techincal section. I think it can be posted here as well . Because it is modelling realated too.

Any particular period? The Squadron flew the MkVC from October 1943 until March 1944, then the MkVIII, the first arriving in January 1944.
I've certainly got at least one pic of one of their MkVIIIs, and might have others.

All I could find. You might find some information in the works of Norman Franks.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 320
Thanks guys
All very helpful. Pic Antoni very useful. I think Bob joined the squadron in 1942 and served with it till the end of the war.
Ihave heard of a very good model maker called Colin Lee from Folkestone who made a lot of the fantastic models in the Hawkinge museum in Kent. I dont suppose if anyone knows how to contact him or alternative has the details of another equally good model maker?

Thanks Airframes!
I dont suppose you could look out what you have in the way of pics post for me please?
BR
Max

Sure. Leave it with me and I'll see what I can find, other than the one I have so far. This is a well-known pic, but doesn't show much in the way of detail.

Thanks
Anything you have would be most welcome! I would also like to contact a really good UK based model maker who I could commission to make a model for me.Do you know of anyone? If so is there any chance of giving me a couple of names/contact details please?
Any help would be much appreciated!!!
BR
Max

Well, I know a UK - based model maker and aviation artist who isn't too bad, although by no means perfect (who is?).
I think his name is 'Airframes', sometimes called Terry, or 'Hey you!' ............

Hi Terry
Can you email me your contact details - whereabouts are you based? Then I can gie you a bell for a chat.

BR
Max

Last edited:
Absolutely no prob guys I am greatful of your interest! I am sure we will all enjoy watching it happen!

Thanks very much for the endorsement Matt ! Just got to finalise some details, and we're off!
I'm not taking part in the next Group Build, in order to get some other jobs finished, so I can get started fairly soon. Just thought though, this could actually qualify for the next GB maybe .......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back