14th Tow Target Squadron

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

5shot56

Airman
Jul 3, 2012
North West Ohio
I have been attempting to figure out what my Uncle did during the 2nd World War. I know he enlisted in the Air Corps 8/19/1942. I had always been told that he saw combat, was told he was a gunner on a bomber? I finally ran across several of his letters that showed the mailing address as APO 713-1 , I think this was New Guinea? The letter covers said he was in the
14th Tow Target Squadron. I didn't think that Tow Target Squads ever saw combat? What did they do? The very little information I found indicated that the 14th was different because
they started out as the 8th Observation squadron? Can anyone here in the group help me out. His name was S/Sgt. George Lanagan from Findlay, Ohio. The letters I found were from
1944 and 1945. One was also marked as 444th Airbase Unit? Any help would be great.

Thank You
Rob T.

I found this in Combat Squadrons of the Air Force World War II published by the USAF in 1982:

14 TT a.png

14 TT b.png

14 TT c.png

Hope it helps!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back