15ft Rattlesnake

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

http://blogs.tampabay.com/bizarre/2009/09/huge-rattlesnake-caught-in-st-augustine.html

September 30, 2009
Huge rattlesnake caught in St. Augustine
Suddenly, those 15-foot Burmese pythons don't sound so bad. An eastern diamondback rattlesnake found in St. Augustine over the weekend is estimated variously from 6 feet to 10 feet. And a diamondback, besides being highly venomous, can strike a person two-thirds of its body length away. Judging by the photo on staugustine.com, we don't have any problem with an estimate of 10 feet.

Problem is, according to the St. Augustine Record, that nobody measured the snake. The person who called Sunday night reported a "possible 6-foot long snake." Deputies arrived and said 6 feet was a gross underestimation. Sgt. Chuck Mulligan, a spokesman for the St. Johns County Sheriff's Office, saw the snake only in photographs but estimated it was at least 10 feet.

However, the deputies didn't measure the rattler before it was killed and removed by an animal trapper.

Joy Hill, a spokeswoman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, said herpetologists who saw the deputies' photographs confirmed it was an eastern diamondback but couldn't say how big it was. "It's the biggest diamondback I've seen," said Hill. The largest confirmed eastern diamondback was 8 feet long.

Last edited:
I only said it was 15 feet cause thats how it was listed in my E-mail. I do agree though its about a 10 footer. Biggest ive seen in person was about 5 feet. But none the less, they all still taste the same, hehehe.

Damn, I'm in St.Augustine now.

Damn, just found out it is near the Golf course I play at.

Last edited by a moderator:
That second pic
based on assumptions obviously, but if the tail is touching the ground, that snake is as long again as that man is tall - it's got to be nudging 12 feet.

Dumbass question but if something that size bit you, you'd be dead, right?

That second pic
based on assumptions obviously, but if the tail is touching the ground, that snake is as long again as that man is tall - it's got to be nudging 12 feet.

Well, depends. A snake wont bite untill a last resort. So you really would have to piss it off to get it to bite. They dont want to waste the venom on anything other than what it wants to eat. If it did bite you though, it would be a heafty dose of venom, and would require you to get to the hospital asap.

From the looks of it, This snake has not missed a meal. Colin, your probably right about the hight, figuring the guy is around 6 feet tall the snake is somewhere between 10 and 15 feet.

Here is a qote about a rattlesnake... Source unkown
The Rattlesnake is found in no other quarter of the world besides America. She never begins an
attack, nor, when once engaged, ever surrenders: she is therefore an emblem of magnanimity and true courage... She never wounds 'till she has generously given notice, given to her enemy, and cautioned him against the danger of treading on her. However, once aroused and provoked to attack, she is lethal.

Did someone say that's one big ass snake? ;)
Skin that sucker out and send the skin to me. Would make a beautiful backing for a Osage Longbow I've got in the works.

That second pic

It could definitely rock your world, C. But that wouldn't be automatic. Dry bites are not unheard of.

Well, depends. A snake wont bite untill a last resort. So you really would have to piss it off to get it to bite. They dont want to waste the venom on anything other than what it wants to eat. If it did bite you though, it would be a heafty dose of venom, and would require you to get to the hospital asap.

From the looks of it, This snake has not missed a meal. Colin, your probably right about the hight, figuring the guy is around 6 feet tall the snake is somewhere between 10 and 15 feet.

Here is a qote about a rattlesnake... Source unkown

Not necessarily true, Beau. Snakes are like any other animal(including humans) their personalities run the gamut. I've seen Mojave Rattlesnakes strike without provocation, and Blacktails not strike after repeated pokes with a sotol stalk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back