1941: top 3 Allied fighters (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tomo pauk

Creator of Interesting Threads
Apr 3, 2008
What Allied fighter aircraft types should earn the medals in 1941? The series produced examples are contenders, ones that made it in service in that year? So no F4U, Spit IX, P-51, La-5 etc. The carrier-based aircraft can also compete, but CV suitabiity yields no points in this thread.
The performance (speed, RoC, roll, dive), armament, protection, radius/range, 'all altitude' capability, lack of dangerous flaws - those are main categories for comparison, in order you see fit. Looking away from th own county products is encouraged - the less flag waving, the better.
Again, it's the top 3, not just the best.

Spit V. but not the horrible tropical version
Martlet I (F4F-3) picked an RN FAA version as the USN didnt get into the fighting till December.
Yak-1. Probably the most manouverable of the three.

All better than a late model 109E and capable of mixing it with an early 109F powered by the DB601E with 1,200hp

Mosquito NF II

Spitfire V

Sea Hurricane

Sea Hurricane might raise a few eyebrows, but in the context of where they were needed they were more valuable than any land based aircraft. Effectively, IU am giving the points for being carrier based. Carrier aircraft were so vital to Allied efforts at that time that that you have to make allowances for them

Spitfire

P38

P40

Does the P-38 qualify as a combat-ready aircraft in 1941?

Mosquito NF II

Spitfire V

Sea Hurricane

Sea Hurricane might raise a few eyebrows, but in the context of where they were needed they were more valuable than any land based aircraft. Effectively, IU am giving the points for being carrier based. Carrier aircraft were so vital to Allied efforts at that time that that you have to make allowances for them

Same deal for the NF II. It seems it went into service in early 1942.

Last edited:
Parsifal, you betray your own banner content. Given that the NF.II wasn't in service in 1941, the correct choice as the best heavy- and night-fighter of 1941 is of course your "Heavy Hitter", the glorious Beaufighter IF.

Beau is a worthy substitute if the Mossie is ruled out. I know the mossie was very late, but couldnt remember exactly the service delivery dates.

No love for the MiG-3?

If the Zero was a combat-capable aircraft, think we can count the P-38D/E as such?

Zero actually fight in '41 (and also in 1940), the P-38 start combat in august '42

clearly the Spit V is in the top 3
for the others 2 is not so easy
Wildcat not the Martlet would be a good choice
Yak-1 would be the third

i try to list the allies SE fighter in combat in '41 (listed last variant (if applicable), omissis biplanes and others old design)
Spit V
Hurri II
Yak-1
MiG-3
LaGG-3
P-40E
Tomahawk
IK-3
Hawk 75
Buffalo 339
CW-21B
P-35A
P-36A
F4F-3
Martlet
I-16
P-24
MB 151

Last edited:
Combat capable does not imply whether it took part in combat or not. The premise of the thread - aircaft in service - does not mean it took part in combat, but that it was in airforce's units.

if i remember right the USAAF don't count as combat ready the P-38D/E, the first were the F or the E upgraded to F standard.

for the list if they had combat were also in service ;)

Both the -E and -D featured self sealing tanks (the fuel capacity was down to 300 US gals vs. 400 gals vs. the 'straight (so suffix) P-38. The 'straight P-38 was also outfitted with pilot armor and BP windshield.
The P-38Es were deployed to Alaska, they were 'winterized' and outfitted with drop tank capability; March 1942, though.
for the list if they had combat were also in service

Of course :)

from the Joe Baugher page
"The first lightnings to be deployed overseas in the Pacific theatre were the small number of P-38Ds and P-38Es which were rushed to Fairbanks and Anchorage for service with the Alaska Defense Command. However, these aircraft were not considered combat ready. These were soon replaced by P-38Es of the 54th Fighter Squadron which were modified by Lockheed to P-38F-1-LO standards with two drop tanks. "

However, these aircraft were not considered combat ready.

That begs a question: why would they be considered as such?
The modification from P-38E to P-38F did not included addition of s-s tanks, nor the pilot's protection - it was already there. Drop tank(s) capability is not a determinant whether the fighter is combat ready or not.

Compared with IK-3, P.24, P-43, MB 151, Hawk 75, Buffalo 339, CW-21B, P-35A, P-36A, I-16, along with 4 major Japanese fighters (2 Nakajimas, 2 Mitsubishis), the P-38D/E is a true combat-worthy aircraft of 1941 IMO.

i hope that some american fighters expert can reply
looking on Baugher description of E and F, the drop tank capability was not present in the first batch of F, but the empty weight of F is 384 lbs heavier of E, and the engine of F were -49/53 versus the -27/29 of E.
I'm sure that many air forces would have not trouble to use also the original P-38

Martlet I (F4F-3) picked an RN FAA version as the USN didnt get into the fighting till December.

just a note to remind that the Martlet I isn't the F4F-3, which would be a hotter fighter than the martlet. I would expect the Martlet I to be comparable to the F4F-3A, which was the less preferred mount of USN aviators. Pure fighters:

1. Spitfire
2. Hurricane
3. F4F-3

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back