1941: Top 3 Axis Level Bombers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wuzak

Captain
Jun 5, 2011
Hobart Tasmania
So which were the best bombardment aircraft of the axis, not including dive bombers and torpedo bombers, or other speciality type bombers, in 1941?

The number of types from which to choose is more restricted than for Allied types I suspect.

...The number of types from which to choose is more restricted than for Allied types I suspect.
The Japanese had 8 bombers in service (not including dive bombers, torpedo bombers and similar types) and the Italians had quite a variety as well.

My top 3 Axis bombers of 1941 would be:
G4M "Betty" - Decent speed, excellent range, adaptable to a broad range of roles. Downside was poor armament crew protection.

Ju88 - Very adaptable aircraft for a broad range of roles, good speed, decent range. Downside was poor armament crew protection.

LeO 451 - I know this was a French aircraft, but the ones that survived the Battle of France were captured and pressed into Luftwaffe and Regia Aeronautica service, where it performed well. Good speed, decent range and capable of performing a broad range of roles (including degaussing), it was an aircraft that I think had a great deal more potential than was realized.

No love for the He 111? :)

Do 217 was available in what form and in what numbers?

Agree with the G4M, many of the other Japanese bombers suffered from low powered engines ( and single engine, fixed landing gear bombers hardly make a best list even if in service in numbers).

Italians are in even worse shape engine wise. A big reason for the 3 engine bombers.

best bombardment aircraft
Since we are talking about 'bombers' I am not sure how much the ability of the aircraft to perform other rolls should be factored in, up to Wuzak?

Since we are talking about 'bombers' I am not sure how much the ability of the aircraft to perform other rolls should be factored in, up to Wuzak?

I think that the ability to perform other roles shouldn't be counted too highly, but could be used to separate two close contenders.

Do 217 was available in what form and in what numbers?

Agree with the G4M, many of the other Japanese bombers suffered from low powered engines ( and single engine, fixed landing gear bombers hardly make a best list even if in service in numbers).

I didn't mention it in the OP, but the types need to be in operational service in 1941.

The FW 200 had some fundamental flaws. All it had going for it was range. Being 2-5mph faster than a Whitley doesn't win many races.

1-Fw-200C-Condor-12KG40-F8FW-broken-back-1942-02.jpg

lrg1082.jpg

JU-88 even in the A-4 version had some range vs payload problems. Better at short range than the He 111, not so good at long range.

I don't think it is being excluded, it may very well be in the top 3, lets just evaluate on what it could really do as a level bomber compared to the other Axis level bombers of 1941.

What more is there to say about level bombing, then? In a nutshell: It takes off, it flies to it's target, it drops bombs, it flies home.

An aircraft's worth has to be not only in providing the service it was designed for, but to be able to adapt to the fluid conditions (and needs) of the war. So when compared to the He111, the Ju88 offered more bang for the buck (how's that for a pun?)...

From all the German bombers, only the Do-217 was able to lug a sizable bomb in a bomb bay. That means benefits both for speed and range. Once the Ju-88 starts to carry bombs outside it ceases to be the Schnellbomber.

What more is there to say about level bombing, then? In a nutshell: It takes off, it flies to it's target, it drops bombs, it flies home.

An aircraft's worth has to be not only in providing the service it was designed for, but to be able to adapt to the fluid conditions (and needs) of the war. So when compared to the He111, the Ju88 offered more bang for the buck (how's that for a pun?)...

Did it?

If you want to drop 4400lb of bombs on a target the HE 111 can do it further away from home base than a JU 88 can. If you are happy with four 550lb bombs (compare to Mosquito until the 4000lb cookie comes along) the He 111 can reach even further.

Ju 88 has to fill the forward bomb bay with a fuel tank (leaving ten 110lb bombs) to have the same range (roughly) as a HE 111 carrying eight 550lb bombs. Granted you could hang four/six 550lb bombs under the JU 88 but what did that do to range?
Needed twice (ir four times?) as many planes to deliver the same bomb load is hardly good bang for the buck.
Granted I am probably picking a worst case for the Ju-88A-4 and the JU-88 shows up much better on close range missions but if you can't reach the desired target/s any/all money spent on that type of bomber is a total waste.

Last edited:
However, the thread was: 1941: Top 3 Axis Level Bombers - not long range

So the He111 could carry an internal load of 4,400 lb (2,00kg) for a distance of 1,429 miles (2,300km) with max fuel.

The Ju88 could carry 3,100 pounds internally (1,400kg) for nearly the same distance, with a higher speeds capable. If it carried it's ordnance externally, it far surpassed the Mosquito's max. load. Naturally, the extra weight and drag caused a penalty in performance but most of the Axis bombing operations weren't long range.

The only way for the Ju-88 to better 1500 km range, with bombs in bomb bay only, is to attach a drop tank under the wing. In order to beat 2000 km, two drop tanks are needed. With drop tanks, the speed of the Ju-88 drops to under 420 km/h on max continuous power. Indeed faster than the clean bombed up He 111, but not sufficient to run away from a half decent fighter in 1941.
It still has only 2/3rds of the bombs of the He-111. It is also questionable how useful the 50 kg bombs are, when compared with 250 kg ones.

Axis two or more engine bombers operational in '1941 (obviously add and corrections are welcome)

Do 17
Do 215
Do 217
He 111
Fw 200
Ju 88
Ju 86
Ca.135
B.71
M.B.210
Potez 633
P.37
Blenheim
Z.1007
B.R.20
C.R.25
S.M.79
S.M.82
S.M.84
S.M.81
Ca.310
Ca.311
Ca.313
Ca.133
G3M
G4M
Type 97
Type 100
Type 99 Light

Bloch MB-174/175, LéO-45 should be added to the list.
They were operational in 1941.

Although it pains me to see them in the Axis one...

i don't counted Vichy France as Axis

i try to post a list of Vichy bombers (but i'm not agree to count it as a axis country)
Potez 542
Farman 221
Farman 222
Martin 167
Bloch 200
Douglas DB-7
Léo 451
Breguet 693695
Amiot 143
Bloch 175

Last edited:
Vichy France was NOT a member of the Axis and it's bombers cannot be counted in this thread. Vichy was technically neutral.
Cheers
Steve

Disagree...the Leo 451 served in Luftwaffe units and some were transferred to Italian service.

A few Leo 451 airframes were even fitted with the degaussing rings and served alongside the Ju52/3 equipped with the same array.

Disagree...the Leo 451 served in Luftwaffe units and some were transferred to Italian service.

A few Leo 451 airframes were even fitted with the degaussing rings and served alongside the Ju52/3 equipped with the same array.

If they served with the Luftwaffe or Italian Air Force then they were serving with an axis power and you can count them, just like any other aircraft they used.

Those in Vichy service can't be counted, which is what I said above.

Cheers

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back