1944 MB Willys Jeep (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

woljags

Staff Sergeant
Dec 28, 2010
maidenhead uk
I thought you might be interested in one of my larger projects that i sold recently
bob003-1.jpg

bob004-1.jpg

bob051-1.jpg

i'm also building a couple Vintage Daimlers if anyone is interested that i could put details of on here if anyone wanted to build a model of one

cheers bob

She was totally original apart from the paintwork and seat coverings,although in american markings the service plate showed she was ex RAF, i improved her over my 3 years of ownership and planed to repaint her in her original markings but an extention at home needed doing so we sold her along with a couple of my other running Daimlers

Very cool!! I love those old Willys. I came close to buying one a few years back, but didn't really have the space for it. Not in as good condition as yours though.

these can be over restored,i've seen them with panel gaps as good as a modern car when they were thrown together for a purpose with panel beat marks, rough joints etc just painted over,this was fun and if you get a chance go and get one

There are several theories out about that. The most common is that it is just the way the GIs pronounced GP which stood for "General Purpose". Another theorie is that it evolved from the name GPW which is what Ford Called the vehicle. G is for Government, P is for its Wheelbase and W is for Willys-Overland.

I am just glad that Jeep has kept the famous grill as its signature for all of its vehicles.

we sold her for £9500 2 months ago to a guy from Southampton,when these last pics were taken we spent an enjoyable afternoon driving around the small industrial estate where i store all the wedding cars

There are several theories out about that. The most common is that it is just the way the GIs pronounced GP which stood for "General Purpose". Another theorie is that it evolved from the name GPW which is what Ford Called the vehicle. G is for Government, P is for its Wheelbase and W is for Willys-Overland.

I am just glad that Jeep has kept the famous grill as its signature for all of its vehicles.

Appreciate the reply. The unofficial one I always liked was Just Enough Engineered Parts

Better than Ford - 'Fix Or Repair Daily' :)

With Chris (Adler) on the explanations. To expand on the GP version, read once she was first nicknamed 'jeepy' before they shortened it to 'jeep'.

Another explanation is in reference to the Popeye character Eugene the Jeep. This was a magical creature that had supernatural abilities (including travel between small spaces) and first appeared in 1936. Apparently when the new '1/4 ton 4X4 Utility Truck' appeared, soldiers were so impressed with it's performance that it was nicknamed after it.

(Personally I think both reasons are involved - the 'GP' designation may have helped put them in mind of the Jeep character.)

Whatever the reason(s), the Willys MB jeep and Volkswagen Schwimmwagen are my two favourite vehicles...would love either of them given the chance!

Jeep
just empty every pocket
And I have, and use a Jeep.

They are not that bad, as long as you take the time to do regular maintenance and take of them. My 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee hat 200k on her before she died and I never had any serious problems with her. Right now I am driving a 2005 Grand Cherokee and have had 0 problems as well.

the early MB jeeps are a bit hard on the suspension,not really surprizing with lorry type springs and only 3 inches of foam seating for comfort,i saw a film recently of these jumping ditches with a gun being towed at the back,if these guys didn't have serieus back problems later on i would be amazed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back