1970 Dodge Challenger (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Basket

Senior Master Sergeant
Jun 27, 2007
I have just watched Vanishing Point which is a cult film with a guy racing cops in a white 1970 Dodge Challenger.

It looks and sounds terrific....

I gots to know....does it go and drives as well? Just hoping you guys knows some old muscle cars and tell us the story.

I saw it when it first came out. If I recall the one in the movie was a little hopped-up. Great car, though. I've never owned one, but I've ridden in them.

Pfft, I had a '69 razor back Mustang with a 351 Winsor (Thanks Canada!) that would've smoked that!
(Let the war begin!)

I owned the 1973 Challenger with a 318 and a posi rear. Yeah, it could do that without the Hemi.

Pfft, I had a '69 razor back Mustang with a 351 Winsor (Thanks Canada!) that would've smoked that!
(Let the war begin!)

Along with the Challenger (and a '73 Charger) I owned a 1967 Mustang fastback with a 289 and 'Bullitt' green. Loved them all. Chrysler and Ford all the way. Those GM wannabes (Camaro, Firebird, etc) I jus' hated!!!

I have just watched Vanishing Point which is a cult film with a guy racing cops in a white 1970 Dodge Challenger.

The old snake man in the desert is Dean Jagger - famous for a certain aviation WWII war movie. Which one?

With a little tuning the big block Dodge and Plymouth could be a hand full. Most folks don't realize it but the production Hemi ran like a 318 two barrel below 4500 RPMs. Once it climbed above that mark it started making it's horse power and was a blast to drive but you had to change the oil pan from a 4 quart to an 8 quart so you didn't run out of oil. Once it reaches 4500 RPMs the oil pan starts to get dry. Back in 1997 my boss restored one of the 5 cars used in the movie made for TV, this movie being made in the early 90s. The one they ran off of the loading dock. The car resides down at Floyd Garretts Muscle Car Museum in Sevierville, TN along with the camera car. There were 5 cars used in the making of that movie.

The old snake man in the desert is Dean Jagger - famous for a certain aviation WWII war movie. Which one?
All my little brain can think of is White Christmas and Bad Day At Black Rock which involved the War remotely but didn't involve aviation. I just know I'm going to kick myself when I find out. I can look it up, you know, but that's cheating.

Heard that them 413 and 426 Max Wedge engines was rather hot as well.....
Otherwise, '68 Dodge Charger all the way!

Btw, while I was still living in Sweden, one of my pals raced a '68 or '69 Barracuda with a Hemi, I painted the covers in that crackle paint, remember thinking about the f*king size of them things! :lol:

my fave is the mustang fastback of the same era.

looks really good.

but something mean about the Challenger. I didnt know what to make of the film. Reminded me a little of the blues brothers with all them cops crashing:D

I loved driving the Challenger as opposed to the Mustang. You would sit in that seat, lean back and with that long nose, really feel in a race car. Like flying a Tie Fighter! :)

Here's a useless piece of info, regarding the movie "12 o' clock High". It's used (or was) at the RMA Sandhurst, for discussion and training in leadership.
Good movie too - think I'll dig it out and watch it - cos I know b*gg*r all about Yank tanks!

Size is very important to our American friends, however....if you want real performance including going around corners you must look elswhere.

I had a 1970 Cuda' 340 4 barrel. I did put a six pack on it but went back to the stock configuration, it burnt more gas and wasn't much faster IMO. It was fast - I ran against 3 stock 351 mustangs and beat them every time. The car wasn't great on the curves and I always had tie rod bushings going out, aside from that she was a beauty. I have to try to find pics and post them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back