1st PLACE INTERMEDIATE: Kittyhawk IV -Curtiss P-40N RAAF 76 Sqn G-SV A29-1140

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ozhawk40

Master Sergeant
Username: Ozhawk40
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Hasegawa
Model Type: P-40N
Details: A29-1140 coded G-SV, 76 Squadron RAAF, flown by P Off Kevin Donald/ Sgt Milton Furze between March 1945 and June 1945.

Accessories used: Ventura Decals, Resin Exhaust, Resin wheels and Eduard photo etch seat belts.

Six Compulsory Photos follow:

Attachments

• Angle 1 - resize.jpg
    Angle 1 - resize.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 375
  • Angle 2 - resize.jpg
    Angle 2 - resize.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 365
  • Angle 3 - resize.jpg
    Angle 3 - resize.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 381
  • Angle 4 - resize.jpg
    Angle 4 - resize.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 337
  • Angle 5 - resize.jpg
    Angle 5 - resize.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 361
  • Angle 6 - resize.jpg
    Angle 6 - resize.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 378
Four Optional Photos to follow:

Attachments

• 1 Optional 2 - resize.jpg
    1 Optional 2 - resize.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 347
  • 2 Optional 3 - resize.jpg
    2 Optional 3 - resize.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 344
  • 3 Optional 13 - resize.jpg
    3 Optional 13 - resize.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 335
  • 4 Optional 1 - resize.jpg
    4 Optional 1 - resize.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 361
that's great! I've been watching your build-up and it's motivated me to revisit a 1/48 P40 that I put in the too hard basket after the vacuum monster made a part disappear....

I love it!

(And I'll post pics of mine)

Thanks Crunch - I didn't feel the need to go overboard - this aircraft had an operational "life" of a little over 3 months, and by 1945 were not flown daily. Maybe 2-4 flights per week (1140 flew a grand total of 3 times in the month of May 1945 as an example). The aircraft were well looked after and a lot of ground crew effort was given to the marking and finish. This is clear in period photos. Consideration was given mainly to the fading of the OD from 6 months baking in the sun. Hopefully this has come across well, with darker areas around the canopy where a tarp was placed to keep the sun from the cockpit enclosure.

I found it interesting when taking photos. The different light conditions turned the colour of the OD from Green through to Brown, and you see that in the above photos above.

Cheers

Peter

Last edited:
Very Nice Pete the other decals look like paint as well.The overall presentation looks very much the part.Cheers Kevin

Top tackle Oz, its pure beauty and I keep looking at the photos. So whats up with the dropped fuel tank?

Thanks Kevin

Decals were a bit of a pain on this one, but I'm trying to push the boundaries a bit and do stuff that I haven't tried before. Painting the roundels was surprisingly less effort than I thought it would be, and they turned out better than the decals, so I'm going to try this more in future and hopefully get to the stage of painting codes as well.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks Maglar and Viking

Considered showing the belly tank attached, but they swapped between fuel and bombs for each mission. Here's a photo of P-40's at dispersal, with the tanks presumably "dropped off" in readiness for the crews to attach and fill.

Maybe I'll finish off a 500lb bomb and attach that in the future.

Cheers

Attachments

• Kittyhawks morotai 44-47794 A29-1205.jpg
    Kittyhawks morotai 44-47794 A29-1205.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back