2018 FIFA World Cup (1 Viewer)

Your favorite to win the 2018 World Cup?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DerAdlerIstGelandet

Private Chemtrail Disperser
Staff
Mod
Nov 8, 2004
USA/Germany
Well we are 1 year away from the FIFA World Cup in Russia. Time for Germany to try and defend their title.

Who are your favorites, who are the dark horses, who do you think will qualify from each group? What big teams will be left out from participating? A good place to talk about the qualifiers as well. How smooth do you think the games in Russia will go?

Teams Qualified

1. Russia (Host)
2. Brazil
3. Iran
4. Japan
5. Mexico
6. Belgium
7. South Korea
8. Saudi Arabia
9. Germany
10. England
11. Spain
12. Nigeria
13. Costa Rica
14. Poland
15. Egypt
16. Iceland
17. Serbia
18. Portugal
19. France
20. Uruguay
21. Argentina
22. Columbia
23. Panama
24. Senegal
25. Morocco
26. Tunisia
27. Switzerland
28. Croatia
29. Sweden
30. Denmark
31. Australia
32. Peru

Last edited:
England have zero chance, the match on Tuesday between Wales and Ireland will be a throwback to the sixties, at time of posting the loser is out and the winner goes forward to the playoffs.

Having been in Germany for many world cups and Euros, my money is on Germany. They never know when they are beaten

Last edited:
England never really has been a good tournament team. They typically show up, but to me they never play as a team. That is what makes the Germans such a good tournament team. They work together, and play cohesively as a team. They can be playing against a much more talented team, but they play together well and to each others strengths. As you said, they never think they are out of it, and quite honestly they rarely are out of it.

Back when I still lived in Germany, the 2006 World Cup was such an amazing experience. The Germans really knew how to host a tournament. It was a lot of fun, the whole country was really one big street party. On top of that, the tournament really was ran well.

England have zero chance, the match on Tuesday between Wales and Ireland will be a throwback to the sixties, at time of posting the loser is out and the winner goes forward to the playoffs.

Having been in Germany for many world cups and Euros, my money is on Germany. They never know when they are beaten
Totally agree, we have no chance and it is hard to look past Germany

Totally agree, we have no chance and it is hard to look past Germany
I watched the 1996 Euros in Italy and then Germany. The guest house I stayed at in Germany had a bar where they put up a wall chart and just marked up Germany as winners in every round until the final. At first it seemed really arrogant but in reality when your team is knocked out all the wall charts come down and no one cares. I was in Mexico in 1990 when the world cup was on, it was party time (even though for me England wernt in it) but the night Mexico got knocked out all the televisions disappeared from the bars and everyone pretended the tournament had stopped.

If you ignore the socioeconomic stuff Iceland are a reasonable side. There recent form is very good for a small nation.
I have to echo the facts that England have zero chance to win but then again no expectations and so nothing to lose.
I find it galling that Scots have seen to be malcontents about England getting through and Scotland not and saying how poor England are. Well...not as poor as Scotland!

If you ignore the socioeconomic stuff Iceland are a reasonable side. There recent form is very good for a small nation.
I have to echo the facts that England have zero chance to win but then again no expectations and so nothing to lose.
I find it galling that Scots have seen to be malcontents about England getting through and Scotland not and saying how poor England are. Well...not as poor as Scotland!
Just on radio, 40,000 Icelanders or 12% of the population have applied for tickets to Russia.

Australia finally won their round against Syria, but boy, did we struggle. It will be difficult for us even if we get in.

Ever since we went down to japan, things have not looked good.

Australia will play the fourth-best team in North America, and there are six teams in the final round robin qualifying stage in that confederation. Mexico and Costa Rica are locked into the top three already, and Trinidad & Tobago are out of the running. Right now, USA are 3rd on 12 points and play the last-placed T&T tomorrow, with Panama and Honduras both on 10 points and playing Costa Rica and Mexico, respectively.

Panama have currently got a better goal difference than Honduras and Mexico are a tougher opponent, so if I had to guess right now, I reckon they'll be our opponents for that two-leg playoff. Luckily, the draw for that has already been done and the Socceroos will have the second leg at home, once again. Panama City away, anyone?

Last edited:
Panama has already qualified, so they are not going to be part of any playoff.

USA just played Trinidad and Tobago and lost 2-1, and are disqualified from the WC.

The intercontinental playoffs have already been set...

Australia vs. Honduras
Peru vs. New Zealand

The USA has been eliminated from World Cup Qualification. The majority of the country can now go back to hating the sport...;)

Fake goals? How can world cup matches be played without goal line technology? I never met anyone from USA who acknowledged any sport called soccer existed, that was in the 1980s though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back