296 Squadron / Halifax V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

1275GT

Recruit
Nov 21, 2009
Chatteris, Cambs. UK
Hi all, I think this is the right section - apoliges if it's not.
I'm looking for information ( or links to info ) on 296 squadron in the period between Sept.1944 - Feb.1945 when they were operating Halifax V's out of Earls Colne, Essex.. I know they were involved in supply drops to resistance forces - does anyone have any more detailed info?
A long shot, but I'm in particular interested in an aircraft I believe coded "Y" with a serial number 355 ( I think the number should have 2 letters preceding, but I don't know what they are ).
This aircraft crashed in Norfolk, UK on 3rd Jan 1945. It's of concern to me as my grandfather was the navigator on that crew, all of which died as a result of the crash. ( Pilot W/O Hinton, Air Gunner W/O Green, Flight Eng. Sgt. Tinkler, Navigator F/Sgt James )
Any info on the missions, that mission / crash in particular, or good modeling sources / pic's for the Halifax V would be gratefully recived.
Cheers, Neil

This? Can't find much more sorry. It's Y3A :(

Hope it helps.

Attachments

• handley-page.halifax.a.9.rt923-y3-a.jpg
    handley-page.halifax.a.9.rt923-y3-a.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 140
Hi, thanks for that. Its an interesting pic, but from my info, it's 202 or 518 squadron machine. The unit codes for 296 are either 9W or 7C. Also, all the Halifax V's I've seen so far have had Merlin engines - I don't know if this apply's to all Mk V's though??
Thanks again though.
Cheers, Neil

Yes, that's part of the definition of the mark. That aircraft is the only A Mk.9 to end up in the weather squadrons.

Possibilities for your aircraft are DG355 or LL355, both manufactured by Rootes.

LL355 was in 298 squadron and was coded 8T-K for Operation Deadstick. 6 Halifaxes each towed a Horsa, carrying troops to capture bridges over the Orne river and Caen canal. Later, it may have transferred to 296 squadron, when they converted from Albermarles and when 298 squadron was converting to the Mk.III Halifax. 296 and 297 squadrons were paired up at Earls Colne.

Hi all, I think this is the right section - apoliges if it's not.
I'm looking for information ( or links to info ) on 296 squadron in the period between Sept.1944 - Feb.1945 when they were operating Halifax V's out of Earls Colne, Essex.. I know they were involved in supply drops to resistance forces - does anyone have any m257ore detailed info?
A long shot, but I'm in particular interested in an aircraft I believe coded "Y" with a serial number 355 ( I think the number should have 2 letters preceding, but I don't know what they are ).
This aircraft crashed in Norfolk, UK on 3rd Jan 1945. It's of concern to me as my grandfather was the navigator on that crew, all of which died as a result of the crash. ( Pilot W/O Hinton, Air Gunner W/O Green, Flight Eng. Sgt. Tinkler, Navigator F/Sgt James )
Any info on the missions, that mission / crash in particular, or good modeling soperatources / pic's for the Halifax V would be gratefully recived.
Cheers, Neil
Hi I know this is quite late but looking at my fathers 296 operations records I have a S.O.E for the 23.4.45 Halifax number N.A 257 with all of the above people in the crew except james.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back