2Pdr vs 40mm Bofors

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

yes Devo it was a joke And Joe about the answer being 42 was part of the joke from a English TV comedy series so don't freak out ok mate

By the way devo watched something on History channel about target aqusition by German Tank crews. how they used their target indicators and sights and were a better quality than Allied equavlent and only problem was their gyroscopics were poor in todays standards so firing main gun on the move was a problem that was overcome in some degrees by skill more than equipment. One thing German Tank Gunners were good in comparison to Allied Tank Gunners

Yes, so once the Germans got under cover, they would have been very deadly, in a stopped fire from cover and then move to the next spot type situation. Just how fragile were the German gyroscopes and how did they compare with the Allied versions?

Can't recall how fragile their gyroscopes were. Was busy getting ready for work at the time so only glanced at it. but they would have had to stop fire and conceal etc and if it became to hot to move say to hull down position etc

Yes I suppose there is that. Still I suppose an interesting question seeing how many Russian tanks there were as opposed to Allied ones.

Ok, Another question. If you can fit a 76mm howitzer in the place of a 2pdr (This happend in the early crusader types), why not develop Armour-piercing shells for them? I have a feeling it has something to do with the size of the breech, but im stupid so i'm not sure...

While you gentlemen are on the subject of the Bofors and the 2 pdr would one of you be so kind as to enlighten me about the pom-pom AA gun used on HM ships. Caliber, ballistics rate of fire, etc. I have looked everywhere and can't find anything about it. Thank you.

thanks Glider also gives information on the Oriklen 20mm and relative information on that weapon as well

Howitzers are low-velocity for destroying unarmoured buildings, they use high arcs of fire. So against moving targets they're pretty useless. So AP for them would be useless.

Emac, the Allied Sherman had gyroscopes; but they were often turned off. Apparently more of a hinderance than a help. And the Finnish gunners were excellent. I have heard, true or not, that some would attach a pencil to the muzzle and write their name on a piece of paper attached to a tree.

renrich: re your query about the 'pom-poms' AAA on RN ships, check out Tony Williams's site and look under 0.5 Vickers - all will be revealed!

renrich: re your query about the 'pom-poms' AAA on RN ships, check out Tony Williams's site and look under 0.5 Vickers - all will be revealed!

Close, but the pom poms were the 2pd, however, you are correct in saying that the quad 0.5 was an important RN weapon in the early years of the war.

Also suggest you look up British 0.50"/62 (12.7 mm) MG Mark III

Users who are viewing this thread

Back