357th FG P-51D ...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

chicoartist

Airman 1st Class
Hi guys,

These are a couple of quick grabs from one of our upcoming DVD releases. These two are from original film stock that likely has never seen the light of day. The can says the footage is dated "September 6th 1943", during a mission to Stuttgart, but that year obviously isn't correct for several reasons. 1944 for sure.

I still have to dig into my refs for additional details (maybe you guys can help me out in that regard), but for now, you guys are among the first to see this:

357FG.gif

357FG5.gif

Wade

that is ace Capt. John B. England's P-51D which was lost on November 2, 1944 in a huge battle with the LW Sturmgruppen with a different pilot at the helm.

England later flew # 44-14789 "Missouri Armada", coded G4*E in the 362nd f.s. for his final P-51

nice pics Wade

Hi guys,

These are a couple of quick grabs from one of our upcoming DVD releases. These two are from original film stock that likely has never seen the light of day. The can says the footage is dated "September 6th 1943", during a mission to Stuttgart, but that year obviously isn't correct for several reasons. 1944 for sure.

I still have to dig into my refs for additional details (maybe you guys can help me out in that regard), but for now, you guys are among the first to see this:

357FG.gif

357FG5.gif

Wade

Wade why are you certain that Sept 6 date is off?

I think I mentioned on one of the other forums that the un modified rudder (no strake) puts that -5 in the June through November, 1944 frame.. and that based on the serial number it 'probably' came into 357FG somewhere between mis July and Mid August.

What did you catch that I missed?

Regards,

Bill

no sweat Bill I am working so stinking hard in the trees right now with no time to think, making silly mistakes due to poor memory almost every other day

I too have many irons in the fire, so don't quote me on these exact dates since I'm away from all my refs at the moment, but I believe that we determined that the film was shot on 5th September '44 during a mission to Stuttgart. We will include this particular footage in our upcoming title focusing on the 100th Bomb Group, similar to our previous DVD on the 303rd - we have film from the 100th's trip to Stuttgart on the 5th, so they will mesh well together.

If you just can't get enough 8th AF fighters, our "Fight for the Sky" and "354th Fighter Group" titles are more than enough to keep you up late at night!

:shock: :D 8) :lol:

Wade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back