3cm MK 108 ammo box....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Erich

the old Sage
May 20, 2004
Platonic Sphere
guess this posting could be in the best bomber killing a/c or in CB's LW canon/mg thread but will make it separate.

will be acquiring this month a real rarity 3cm Mk 108 Ammunition box. here are three pics, albeit WAY TOO small and not very clear to get everyone's juices flowing. Will take much closer views when the heavy item arrives.

32 inchs long, 10 1/2 inchs wide and 9 inchs tall. the box is labeled in the interior lid as well as inside one of the panels

so for now and a neat treat a new book on German ammunitions is in the works

E ~

Attachments

• 4b3c41c80.jpg
    4b3c41c80.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 238
  • 4b36e7c80.jpg
    4b36e7c80.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 242
  • 4b3836f00.jpg
    4b3836f00.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 230
good question W, I have to find this out. they were laid out side by side and stacked, most likely in card board sleeves individually.

here is something from ammo expert djh off a website. note number type 3 in which the ammo box is for, I copied the type 2 just to mention the detenator used

Type 2- 3cm M Geschoß 108 ausführung A mit zerleger (3cm Mineshell 108 type A with self destruct mechanism). A Mineshell filled with 85 grams of penthrite and fuzed with the ZZ1589B (Zerlegezunder /self destruct fuze 1589B -mechanical-). The shell could also be filled with 85 grams of HA41 (Hexogen Aluminium). Weight of shell : 330± 8 grams. Note that the shell has a different type of detonator, the VC70. This duplex detonator had a delay curcuit that delayed the shell for about 10 cm of flightpath, enabeling it to enter the target before exploding inside of it.

Type 3 - 3cm M geschoß ohne zerleger (3cm Mineshell without self destruct mechanism). A mineshell filled with 82 grams of Ha41 and a ring of 3 grams penthrite ,surrounding the VC70 detonator. The fuze used is the AZ1587.

hey chaps just found out the label has faded due to age, wear, and over time. should be white and the band vertically is not green but blue indicating rounds with steel cases.........

cool eh

E `

Probably a daft question
but doesn't some of that info on the side divulge the quantity within?
Can't quite read it from here but ammo boxes usually tell you how many of what's inside.
Well, modern ones do

probably I haven't even dug real far as the pic is so small in my files, the fuze numeration and type is set on the label as well as the nasty HA 41 ( Hexagon-Aluminum ) round filling; 82 grams worth and 3 grams of Penthrite. the fuze AZ 1587 is of the non-delay type or it is suppose to be.

bottom of the steel casings are marked exw 181 and then a 44 stamped in the bottm.

the fuzes are even dated as shown on the faded label.

yes Milosh thanks for the link the rounds carried in the box are the Type K with the VC 70 and 1587 fuze

Users who are viewing this thread

Back