414th NFS, 7/8 April 1945 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mhuxt

Staff Sergeant
Jul 16, 2004
Hello All:

According to "Queen of the Night Skies", Capt. Jones of the 414th NFS claimed an Me 410 at Halle aerodrome this night, in addition to a Ju 88.

Does anyone have a location for the Ju 88? I'm trying to see if it matches this loss:

Geschichte Mitteldeutschland - Ju88 bei Scholis

Scholis is around 40 miles from Halle.

TIA

hey Mark

I see Ju 88G-6, 3 of them lost. one by the airfield Göttingen, another 3km south of Mechtersen bei Luneburg and one II./NJG 6 Ju 88G-6 lost southwest of Dillingen.

could we be talking about a Ju 88 bomber ?

E ~

Hiyas E:

Yep, from an old thread on Bert Hartmann's board. The furthest the discussion got was that it might have been an aircraft from an LG or part of KG 4. The crash location is close to Pretzsch.

I think LG 2 was the unit mentioned.

There was a Mossie crash in the same location apparently, damned if I can figure out which one. I suspect a 406 Sqn RCAF aircraft, which is listed as having been on an intruder to Altenburg. Perhaps it went snooping around Leipzig, Halle, Pretzsch in the way in or back. All speculation though.

Apparently gunfire was heard before the Ju 88 came down, but there's no mossie claims near.

I owe you an answer on the Mossie board, will do that next.

Cheers,

Mark

PS - Sorry, the initial post was not clear. I'm after the location given for the Ju 88 claim by the 414 NFS crew.

thanks bud ! yes will do some re-check on the 414th nfs kill and get back to you

E `

Heyas again E:

I checked back with the thread on Bert's board, looks like it was LG 1 being discussed. Strangely, the information on the LW crew members is clear enough - all of their names were recorded in the local register, and it seems they were based in Dresden.

Will send you an email re: 20/21 February after all - seems more complicated than I initially thought. Is there a time of day for the loss you're interested in over there? Might make things clearer.

Maybe give Norman a nudge in his USAAF thread - he may not be looking at the March 25 thread since there's no "USAAF" in the title.

Cheers E,

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back