4x4....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
What car would you get, second hand for £8000/$12800, for a 1000 mile hike through jungle, desert, snow etc...much like a Camel Trophy?

Surplus British Army Landrovers can be a good buy.
I don't know what the Defender or the Wolf is like but the ones from my time had a chassis like a mini tank although engines could be brittle. The two afore-mentioned models might have addressed that but British auto-engineering being what it is, I doubt it.

Critical application 4x4 users (ie people who cannot afford to break down eg routes in the Aussie outback) tend to go Japanese. Not hard to see why as they are ultra-reliable.

I've owned Ford late 70s 4X4, 76 Jeep CJ-7, late 60s Cherokee, etc. Only one was the best......

Attachments

• LR002.JPG
    LR002.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 315
no doubt in my mind the Toyota Landcruiser
Reporting from northern Darfur for The Times of London, Anthony Loyd wrote:

Known as "night locusts" by their government enemies, the rebels call their conflict the "Land Cruiser war" or "Toyota war" owing to their preferred vehicle of choice for travel and battle. The distances are huge. "It's not uncommon to go, fight and come back having covered 800 kilometres in 24 hours," said General Abu Bakr, 55, one of the JEM's [Justice and Equality Movement] leading commanders, who has spent most of the past six years in the Darfur deserts.

According to Loyd, JEM is "regarded by many foreign diplomats as the only feasible threat to Sudan's military in Darfur."

(In 1984, Time reported on "The Great Toyota War" – the civil war in Chad, where "small groups of Toyota desert vehicles, with 106-mm recoilless rifles mounted at the rear, wheel and charge like cavalry in the vastness of the Sahara.")

How about a Black 2010 F-150 FX4. Got her a month ago, The Boston Bruins decal in the back window makes her all the sweeter.

2010! Nice but I'll still go with the 2 1978 F-250s I once had. Both had 351M v-8s and one had a Dana 70 rear with Detroit lockers and a New Process 4-speed with a granny low, Dana 44 in front and modest 3" lift. Oh and locking hubs. Truck would go anywhere!

Attachments

• 028_28.JPG
    028_28.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 256
Definately TJ Wrangler set up like this

Attachments

• IMG_1123.jpg
    IMG_1123.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 212
  • jeep1.jpg
    jeep1.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 205