5 Hueys, 4 Scooters, 2 Meatboxes, a Dragonfly, Lincoln and Huanquero...?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nuuumannn

Major
Oct 12, 2011
Nelson
Hi Guys, I've just returned from a quick trip to Argentina and Uruguay, where, among other things I went in search of aircraft to photograph, so here are some pictures I took. Firstly, the excellent Museo Nacional Aeronautica at Base Aerea Moron, Buenos Aires.

Firstly, the Pulqui I designed by Frenchman Emile Dewoitine was something of a disappointment owing to lacklustre performance, but it was the first gas turbine aircraft built in Latin America.

Pulqui%20I_zpsmy3xfos3.jpg

I've done a walkaround of this aircraft here: warbirds

Next, its intended successor, the deadly looking Pulqui II, which was designed by none other than Kurt Tank had good performance, powered by a Rolls-Royce Nene, but handling issues and political turmoil within the country sought to stymie production of the aircraft. Eventually the US offered the Fuerza Aerea Argentina F-86 Sabres at a bargain price and the Pulqui II never entered production.

Pulqui%20II_zps4u8fqkao.jpg

From the handsome to the ridiculous, another Kurt Tank masterpiece was the Huanquero twin engine bomber, reconnaissance, transport trainer. Apparently President Juan Peron often travelled around in the Huanquero, rather than the purpose utilised presidential aircraft.

Huanquero_zpsnqdqainj.jpg

A little known rarity of Argentine design is the Instituto Aerotecnico I.Ae-22 DL, whose design was influenced by the North American NA-16, although the aircraft is entirely indigenous, even the engine, a 450hp I.Ae-16 El Gaucho 9 cylinder radial.

I.Ae-22%20DL_zps2zwnepu0.jpg

The Guarani II will win no beauty prize, but despite only 32 production examples built, was widely used in Argentina. It was a successor to the Huanquero and was based on the earlier design; the Guarani I bearing considerable resemblance to the piston engine predecessor, but a new empennage was fitted to the Guarani II.

Guarani_zpstjjvpede.jpg

An instantly unmistakeable shape any student of the Luftwaffe will recognise, the Urubu glider was designed by Reimar Horten within the Instituto Aerotecnico. Only five of the two seat gliders were built, this one being the only survivor.

Urubu_zpscoyuoiis.jpg

Next the venerable Pucara, the neat twin engined ground attack aircraft that fared rather poorly through no fault of its own, I might add, during the Falklands war of 1982. This one is the very first one built and is almost identical to production examples.

Pucara_zpsst6sp8en.jpg

To the Argentine people, the Guerra de Las Malvinas was a turning point in the nation's history; faith in the military Junta dissolved altogether and sovereignty over the islands became a sore point that exists to this day. Therefore it's no wonder that there are monuments to the Malvinas dotted all over Buenos Aires, something that compilers of the likes of the Lonely Planet guides for tourists seem to overlook when expressing national characteristics - a pathological desire to see the islands back in Argentine hands. Within the MNA are five Malvinas combat veterans, all visible in the image below, from right to left, Canberra B-62 B-109, Mirage IIIEA I-011, Dagger A C-432, A-4P C-207 and A-4C C-322.

Hangar%20view_zpsrg1vkbje.jpg

Of the five combat veterans, A-4P C-207 is the most noteworthy, wearing 'kill' markings in the form of ship silhouettes, illustrating attacks made on the British warships HMS Broadsword, Brilliant and Coventry, the last of which was sunk on 25 May 1982 after attack by A-4s including C-207.

A-4P_zps5rmtfqwk.jpg

On the last night of the war, Canberra B-62 B-109 was one of two sent to bomb British positions around Mount Kent and thus was the last Argentine aircraft deployed in combat during the war. Sadly, the other Canberra B-108 was shot down by a Sea Dart launched from the destroyer HMS Exeter, the last casualty of the war.

Canberra_zpscydzikla.jpg

Finally, Argentine Mirage IIIs played only a small role during the war, being hampered by their fuel reserves and being able to spend only 15 minutes over the islands before having to return to the main land. Nevertheless, I-011 carried out air combat sorties over the islands during the war.

Mirage_zpskccaliyv.jpg

More to come.

Last edited:
More from MNA.

It's a little known fact that celebrated French pioneer airman and author Antoine de St Exupery spent time in Argentina flying mail routes set up by the French air postal service. Remarkably, one of his aircraft survives; the last Latecoere 25 left.

Late%2027_zpst1bgjcro.jpg

An example of the pretty Fiat G.46 trainer, one of 70 operated by the Fuerza Aerea Argentina.

G.46_zpsyzhen8kv.jpg

The Max Holste Broussard is known as the French Beaver, such are the characteristics of the type, yet it gets little exposure outside of those nations that operate it, primarily in Africa, South America and Asia, where its rugged nature is best exploited.

Broussard_zpse36g3a8q.jpg

Another French import, the Morane Saulnier MS.502 Criquet, (Locust, not cricket) based on the Fieseler Storch, this one in civilian markings.

Criquet_zpshr9zqnbt.jpg

The big S-61R served with the FAA for 18 years before retirement to the museum in 2002.

S-61N_zpstxwnpd3u.jpg

Outside is a line up of aircraft that are desperately in need of shelter, but like most museums, space and resources are at a premium. One of the most significant is Avro Lincoln B-004, one of only three complete and intact examples of Avro's Lancaster successor in the world; another in Argentina and the third at the RAF Museum, Cosford.

Lincoln_zpsytgeekzm.jpg

Despite being all metal, the Vickers VC.1 Viking, nicknamed The Pig, is a direct descendant of the Wellington bomber, the earliest examples being fitted with geodetic wings and tailplanes. This particular aircraft was used as a presidential transport for a period.

Viking_zpsgyzfbcqe.jpg

Finally, a big Bristol in need of a good wash.

Freighter_zpsrnwmkklv.jpg

Next, more airframes around Buenos Aires.

Great thread Grant !
Nice to see some aircraft from Argentina, and a few unusual ones too. Didn't know they's used the Max Holste Broussard - nice kite. There used to be one at my Club, still in the original French colours, until the prop CSU packed up on approach, and the aircraft hit a car (a Citroen 2CV, of all things) on the M62, amputating an arm of the young driver, before force landing in a field. It's stripped-out shell was behind a hangar for quite a few years.

Thanks guys, denada, El Stevo.

(a Citroen 2CV, of all things)

Must have thought it as godawful as everyone else then! :)

Anyway, here's some more from Argentina and we start with a couple of airframes down town.

This A-4Q-on-a-stick is within a compound next to the Edificio Libertad, headquarters of the Armada Argentina.

A-4Q_zpszu1cgavr.jpg

On the other side of the building is this LVTP-7 Amtrac.

LVTP-7_zps1gb1rid5.jpg

One street away is the Fuerza Aerea Argentina headquarters draped in a commemorative banner...

Cien%20Anos_zpsekxdd99x.jpg

...with this freshly painted Meatbox F.4-on-a-stick on an island out front. The white building in the background is the aforementioned Edificio Libertad.

Meteor_zpsirvlonwd.jpg

In the heart of the city, a block from the main square, Plaza de Mayo is the Ministry of Defence building with this A-4 Sherman outside; the Argentine army received loads of them and they remained Argentina's main battle tank for many years.

Sherman_zps6tvhbywe.jpg

Further out from the city centre in the suburb of Ciudadela within the compound of an army barracks is the excellent Museo Historico de la Ejercito; the Argentine army museum that receives very few visitors, mainly because its so poorly advertised. There, whilst being shown around by two guides, one of whom spoke english, groups of young soldiers came to shake my hand; I felt quite embarrassed by this, but apparently they get very few foreign visitors and I was the first New Zealander any of them had met. One offered me some of Argentina's national drink - mate, a type of tea that's like drinking crushed up leaves and is something of an acquired taste. Mate (beverage) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, There are three airframes at the museum, these two, a rather beat up old Bell 47 Sioux and this UH-1H; both aircraft are empty shells.

UH-1H_zpsuhbpdizw.jpg

The way by which I found out about this hidden gem is because I found out there was a Grumman OV-1D Mohawk in a suburb in Buenos Aires, so I wanted to track it down, which led me to the museum.

OV-1D_zpsbv2nfcho.jpg

Next, some tanks.

Last edited:
Continuing at the Museo Historico de la Ejercito, these Shermans are within a former stables that housed the horses that were part of the infantry division that was based there and is now part of the museum.

Shermans_zpsdi5v4cp6.jpg

There are a number of vehicles dotted around the compound and I was given permission to photograph them, which I was told was unusual since people wandering round a military facility with a camera was unheard of, although by this stage I had become something of a minor celebrity at the base! We were joined on the tour by a senior officer who could speak english who wished to discuss the Falklands war, since his boss, the museum manager was in an artillery unit on the Falklands - he wasn't there the day of my visit - and he wanted my thoughts on the campaign, being a foreigner. We had a long and interesting discussion in the section of the museum dedicated to the Malvinas campaign.

An M113 APC.

M113_zpsmnkasq3m.jpg

The tank that replaced the Sherman in the Argentine armoured division was the TAM, or Tanque Argentino Mediano.

TAM_zps5lrfkdzn.jpg

An AMX-13.

AMX_zpskbsmkl7m.jpg

A very cool looking M-7 priest.

Priest_zpsjdp9brih.jpg

Inside the section dedicated to the Malvinas are these UH-1H bits recovered from the islands.

UH-1%20Tail_zpsvgggj8x7.jpg

These were my two guides for the day, Laura and Cecilia.

Laura%20y%20Cecilia_zpsfcjsp3ag.jpg

Lastly, a train journey to lovely Tigre on the Rio Parana delta and the Museo Naval de la Nacion, where there are lots of ship based artillery pieces and three rather weather worn airframes.

An SNJ-4.

T-6G_zpsicbsavtt.jpg

An F9F-2; Argentina was the only foreign operator of the Panther, of which they had 28 ex-USN examples, although 24 entered service. Although carrier aircraft, the ARA Independencia, formerly HMS then HMCS Warrior's catapult was not considered powerful enough to launch the aircraft, so they were land based. They went to war during the naval revolt of 1963 surrounding political divisions within the military government that had overthrown Juan Peron, where they were operated against armoured elements of the Ejercito. One Panther was shot down in the fighting. Armada SNJs and F4Us were also used in combat. 1963 Argentine Navy Revolt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

F9F-2_zpsyknx3rcm.jpg

This is an ex-USN A-4B donated by the US DoD disguised as an Armada A-4Q.

A-4B_zpsawwxzu9j.jpg

Next, a boat ride across the Rio de la Plata to Uruguay.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back