5 Series Italian Fighters -- No Respect

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DAVIDICUS

Staff Sergeant
Feb 23, 2005
Macchi MC 205 Veltro - Became operational in June 1943

Fiat G55 Centauro - Became operational in September of 1943

Regianne RE 2005 Sagittario - Became operational in May of 1943

----------

Obviously, these fighters were produced in tiny quantities and saw very limited action. Italy was effectively out of the war when the other large allied and axis players were starting to refine and hone their fighters into really impressive machines.

At the point in the war when these aircraft came onto the scene, how do you think they compared with the best fighter aircraft of the U.S.A., Britain, Germany and Japan?

They compared extremely well...they could certainly compete with the other countries machinery at the time, and were probably better than them...they were certainly extremely capable aircraft 8)

No one else interested in this topic? Like I said, the Italian fighters don't get any respect.

I understand that all three of these fighters were as good if not better than the vaunted P-51 in a dogfight and were better than the ME-109's and FW-190's of the same period.

Of course the topic can be interesting.

Particularly the Regianne RE 2005 was in fact a very interesting and totally capable design.

If i recall correctly only a fistful of the type got produced.

I do not think there is such a thing like no respect towards italian aircraft designs; the Regia Aeronautica as well spawned some superb pilots such as Adriano Visconti.

Adriano Visconti was a superb pilot. Something like 18 of his 26 kills were in the Macchi MC.200.

The late war Italian fighters were indeed superb. Like Udet said, the Re-2005 was particularly good.

I think only about 150 MC.205's were produced...but the served long after the war with several countries.

well over a thousand Me-262s were produced, i read that only 300 actually saw service, my point is not all plane that are made see service.........

I know that, however all 150 or so MC.205's were made at about the same time, and this was 2 years prior to the wars end, so its quite concievable that the were all utilised...

And hell most of em survived the war too...

What can I say, I LIKE Italian aircraft. They were the japanese of Europe, their aircraft were underarmed but as manoeuverable as all hell. The MC200, f'r instance, had a better turning circle than ANY other european aircraft except for biplanes! The Fiat G.50 was about the same.

Italian bomber crews flew missions over England during the battle of Britain Fiat Biplanes flew with 'em!

Courage!

Kiwimac

kiwimac said:
What can I say, I LIKE Italian aircraft. They were the japanese of Europe, their aircraft were underarmed but as manoeuverable as all hell. The MC200, f'r instance, had a better turning circle than ANY other european aircraft except for biplanes! The Fiat G.50 was about the same.

Italian bomber crews flew missions over England during the battle of Britain Fiat Biplanes flew with 'em!

Courage!

Kiwimac

Too damn right! 8) Italian planes were superb 8)

Don't forget the Italian torpedo bombers. They had good stats.

There was a combat test flight between a 109 and a Italian fighter and the Itie fighter gave it a tough time. (can't remember the details though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back