56 ("Firebirds") Squadron RAF

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vic Balshaw

Major General
Jul 20, 2009
Canberra
G'day folks. I've done a few postings on the forum and thought it about time I introduced myself. I first discovered forum when looking for information on my pet modelling theme where I was soon chatting to one of your illustrious member. Also, the welcome from others was warm and encouraging with such intricate detailing of models and a varied range of subjects that it's spurred me into trying to improve on my own modelling skills. My theme is the building of all aircraft types of one RAF Squadron from 1918 onward. My subject is 56 (Firebirds) Squadron in 1:48 scale which I have been working on for a number of years and as I discovered, I'm not the only one to have selected this particular squadron and in this respect, my sincere apologise to "Airframes" (Terry) for gazumping you on your chosen theme, to be honest I'm delighted someone else has chosen to duplicate the aircraft history of THE squadron. And in line with this theme, there is another among your ranks has selected 74 Squadron, good luck to you both, it's a great and varied challenge, and please keep us posted on progress.

Anyone else out there building a squadron?

Why 56 Squadron. Well they were my first and last operational fighter squadron during my 14 year RAF career (ground staff). My first time was when they had just converted to the Lightning F.1A and I was lucky to still be at Wattisham when they were the "Firebirds" display team for the season of 1963. I again caught up with the squadron in the early 70's when they were the Eastern Mediterranean defence squadron as a member of CENTO, in Cyprus.

and my latest addition to the flight line, a Phantom FGR Mk 2 at RAF Wattisham in July 1992. Its a 1:48 Hasagawa kit and very nice kits they are.

In the pipeline is a second Hasagawa Phantom that will be in conventional squadron markings and an Italieri part built F.3/ADV Tornado that is more filler than plastic. In the past I've bagged the Airfix kit for it's poor fit and I now consider the Italieri in this model to be just as bad.
The F.1A Lightning was my first aircraft on the flight line, thrown together some 7 years ago (yes, that's how long I've been on this project). At that time my modelling skills were somewhat crude and many of my earlier models need dusting down and refurbishing, something I may tackle when the mood takes.

And I finish with the squadron flight line and my secret stash.

To all you worldly folks out there, keep posting, it's fun reading and very informative.

Attachments

• 41a Phantom FGR MK 2.JPG
    41a Phantom FGR MK 2.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 107
  • 41b Phantom FGR Mk2.JPG
    41b Phantom FGR Mk2.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 38a Lighning F.1A.JPG
    38a Lighning F.1A.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 38b Lighning F.1A.JPG
    38b Lighning F.1A.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 38c Lighning F.1A.JPG
    38c Lighning F.1A.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 102
  • My secret stash.JPG
    My secret stash.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 134
  • My Sqn stach c.JPG
    My Sqn stach c.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 129
  • My Sqn stach a.JPG
    My Sqn stach a.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Jolly good show old boy! :thumbright: Looking forward to more pics and stories

Hows the F6 Hunter going?

What's left to do, well after the second Phantom and the Tornado, I've a couple more Tornado's a Gloster Gauntlet and new Meteor F.3. This will complete the line and then it's down to replacing a couple of the older models constructed some 5 or six years ago. After that, well I do have a largish reserve stash hidden away.8)

Here we are folks, Phantom No 2 completed and added to the flight line.
Next up, finish the Tornado F.3 and start on the other two Airfix kits.
:hotsun: :hotsun:

Attachments

• 090906 Phantom 2-1.jpg
    090906 Phantom 2-1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 83
  • 090906 Phantom 2-2.jpg
    090906 Phantom 2-2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 090906 Phantom 2-3.jpg
    090906 Phantom 2-3.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 090906 Phantom 2-4.jpg
    090906 Phantom 2-4.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 090906 Sqn Flt Line 2-1.jpg
    090906 Sqn Flt Line 2-1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 85
I agree, beaut work Vic. The collection looks fantastic all together like that, and has given me an idea of how much space I'll need - and I'm only building twelve...well, maybe a couple more.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back