64th anniversary of Operation Bodenplatte (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Eurofighter

Airman
Dec 11, 2008
Today, January 1st 2009 marks the 64th anniversary of Operation Bodenplatte, the last major air offensive by the Luftwaffe aimed to cripple allied air forces stationed in Belgium, the Netherlands and northern France during World War II. Although the massive assault was succesful inflicting heavy losses against allied air forces, they were replace in weeks while the Luftwaffe could not replace its own losses.

One of the stupidest and ill-conceived operations ever conducted by the Luftwaffe during the war.

what a waste of human life and nothing was gained whatsoever for the LW

very sad

E ~

One of the stupidest and ill-conceived operations ever conducted by the Luftwaffe during the war.

what a waste of human life and nothing was gained whatsoever for the LW

very sad

E ~

But a very fitting end to the battle in Bulge. One big mistake ended in another... :salute: to all that were victim to this folly.

I commemorated the anniversary in an original way (at least to me). After the celebration of New Year some friends and I watched the Dogfights episode "Death of the Luftwaffe" which covers the story exactly at 2:00 am central time in the US, 9:00 am in Central Europe approximately the same time in which the real battle was beginning to take place 64 years ago!

I remember some 6 years ago interviewing Don B from the 352nd who with his squad was on the ground watching above their field at Asch while his sister squad was trounching JG 11. Don told me his Mustang was the only one on the ground that got shot to a heap of crap .......... he was not a happy camper at all ..... ~

E

well after Bodenplatte some interesting things occurred for the LW day fighter units and as of 14 January nearly 3/4's of the JG's were then sent off to the Ost front for the final battles for Berlin. the Nachtjagd of course performed more suicidal ground attack missions for the beleagured Wehrmacht ground forces stuck in the Ardenne hell-hole and suffered accordingly, also the BC Mossie NF's became increasingly more persistant in engaging the LW at night.

well after Bodenplatte some interesting things occurred for the LW day fighter units and as of 14 January nearly 3/4's of the JG's were then sent off to the Ost front for the final battles for Berlin. the Nachtjagd of course performed more suicidal ground attack missions for the beleagured Wehrmacht ground forces stuck in the Ardenne hell-hole and suffered accordingly, also the BC Mossie NF's became increasingly more persistant in engaging the LW at night.[/QUO. Very interesting information Erich, by the way do you know if George Preddy could had been involved in the aerial battle against the Luftwaffe on January 1st in case he had survived his last mission on December 25th 1944 or would had been just watching the dogfights from the ground?

George flew in the 328th sq. same as Don so no he would of been on the ground cheering on his squad buddies. the 487th sq. was the unit up in the air along with 9th AF Jugs that were based across the field from the 352nd fg.

E ~

George flew in the 328th sq. same as Don so no he would of been on the ground cheering on his squad buddies. the 487th sq. was the unit up in the air along with 9th AF Jugs that were based across the field from the 352nd fg.

E ~ Thank you for the information Erich, I appreciate your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back