69 years ago, the 6th of June

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vassili Zaitzev

Master Sergeant
Nov 25, 2005
Connecticut, United States
On June 6th, 1944, the Allied invasion of Europe began with Operation Overlord. Landing on the beachs of Normandy were the armies of the United States(Utah and Omaha beach), Great Britain(Gold and Sword), and Canada(Juno). Despite facing resistance(particulary Omaha), a foothold was secured by the end of the day. June 6th marked the beginning of the Allied offensive to liberate Europe from Nazi tryanny.
:salute: To those lost on that day.

Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed people's of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped, and battle hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi trimuphs of 1940-1941. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to Victory!

I have full confidence in your courage and devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory!

Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

-General Dwight D. Eisenhower, Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force, June 6, 1944.

:salute:

To ALL the Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!

And to one in particular from my family.......

A "Tough 'Ombre" from the 90th Infantry Division who came ashore on Utah Beach.

My Dad. :salute:

Steve

Attachments

• Paris_1945_resize.jpg
    Paris_1945_resize.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 126
  • dad_foxhole_resize.jpg
    dad_foxhole_resize.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 120
Yes indeed, I was 5mo old so don't remember much but to all soldiers living and dead my deapest heartfelt thanks for your sacrifices

Attachments

• halfmast.gif
    halfmast.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 113
  • icon_salute_proper.gif
    icon_salute_proper.gif
    344 bytes · Views: 114
Including one of my uncles. :salute:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back