7.8 magnitude earthquake in southern Turkey and northern Syria

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ThomasP

Senior Master Sergeant
Apr 17, 2017
midwest USA
The earthquake area of influence is apparently at least 200 miles in length.

Current death toll is over 5000 in Turkey, no word yet from Syria.

As many as 10,000 buildings have collapsed during the initial earthquake and continued during the aftershocks.

Particularly when it covers such a large area.
Yes indeed.

So far, it looks like Turkey, Syria and Lebanon have been seriously affected.

I have a close friend of the family in Turkey and have yet to hear from him.

Bulgaria (and nearby Balkan countries) has had recent quakes in the area of 4.6 or so.

It seems the eastern side of the fault suffered the most severe slippage.

It's a little more complicated than that:

I don't think Brookings, a right-wing "think tank", could be considered a reliable independent source, all other countries apart from the west have no problem bringing in aid. The US already has a presence in Syria it should be easy enough to bring supplies in.

I don't think Brookings, a right-wing "think tank", could be considered a reliable independent source, all other countries apart from the west have no problem bringing in aid. The US already has a presence in Syria it should be easy enough to bring supplies in.
So you didn't take into consideration the sources that were presented in the artical?

From Brookings....No. I have read plenty of stuff from them in the past, just following the narrative. I just know what my friends in Syria tell me. Plus one US friend is not even allowed to send money.
Believe what you wish.

The reality is actually more complex than sanctions.

There is a war going on there which is making releif aid difficult - but your friends told you about this already, no?

Believe what you wish.

The reality is actually more complex than sanctions.

There is a war going on there which is making releif aid difficult - but your friends told you about this already, no?
They told me about the US is occupying a large part of the country and stealing the oil and grain, sending most to Turkey.

Over 21,000 people have been killed, the number is rising, and many more injured, ....but sanctions come first of course.

They told me about the US is occupying a large part of the country and stealing the oil and grain, sending most to Turkey.
Oh boy...

You do realize there's only about 900 U.S. troops northeastern Syria?

I'm starting to suspect that between the comments about the people loving Asad, the U.S. preventing aid and now a room full of U.S. troops stealing all of Syria's wealth - that thar be some bullshit in them thar hills...

Oh boy...

You do realize there's only about 900 U.S. troops northeastern Syria?

I'm starting to suspect that between the comments about the people loving Asad, the U.S. preventing aid and now a room full of U.S. troops stealing all of Syria's wealth - that thar be some bullshit in them thar hills...
Only 900, really! There should not really be any, Syria never attacked the US...... but I expect the 900 have plenty of civilian contractors helping them out.

Only 900, really! There should not really be any, Syria never attacked the US...... but I expect the 900 have plenty of civilian contractors helping them out.
Are you up to speed on the Syrian civil war at all?

Seriously.

There were over 60 nations involved in the civil war during it's peak, several remain, including the U.S. in "de-escalation zones" in an attempt to keep the civil war from starting up again.

"Syria never attacked the U.S." yeah and I am sick and tired of our troops having to be involved in conflicts started by douchebag dictators.

It's about as tiresome as listening to people who get sucked into BS propeganda. :rolleyes:

US sanctions against Syria are preventing aid from arriving from western countries, China, Russia, Venezuela, Cuba, and most Islamic countries are providing aid.
There are no sanctions against humanitarian aids!

The US and UN has sent tons of equipment and medicine for Bam Quake back in 2000.

Unfortunately, those aids never reached their destination and were sold in black market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back