7.9 quake hits South Pacific, tsunami alert issued

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There was a bbig quake this morning just off of Central Sumatra. This area gets a lot of quakes of this magnitude.

Its most probably on the fault line that caused the 2004 event, but it will be up to the seismologists to detemrine if this is an aftershock [of 2004], or an independant event.

It is however, not even remotely related to the Samoan Islands event of yesterday.

Just seen a photo in our local paper of Coconut Beach, Samoa, Hil and I holidayed there in 06, it's gone. Hope the gang there are okay.

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Yeah man my thoughts too , you in the south island too?

I'd say Samoa are the only ones still in danger , news said the death figure was in triple figures of course though it'l be a while before they know more accurate figures

thanks for your concern :oops:

Nah, i live in Napier..
My course had a fieldtrip to a place right on the edge of town closest to the water..
So when we got out i jumped in the car and the teach we were with drove along the Marine Parade and we were checking out the sea..
Flat as..

I think mother natures giving us all a rattle up again, just to make sure we dont forget.

Samoa has been hit very hard. Looks terrible on the reports. Of late there have been at least 4 tremors very near where I live which is not unheard of but quite strange as the plates are quite stable in the south of Australia. Seems a lot of movement in the general pacific area has been happening in the last few months.

My wishes go to all affected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back