75th Anniversary : Sinking of Yamato Class Battleship - IJN Yamato

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne Little

Staff
Mod
Oct 7, 2006
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
User Name : Wayne Little
Kit : PitRoad IJN Yamato 1945
Scale : 1/700

Today, April 7th marks the Sinking of the IJN YAMATO the Largest and most powerful Battleship of WW 2, and final piece of the Trilogy of my builds of the Yamato Class Ships.
I need to get a wriggle on as I want them completed during this 75th Anniversary Period.

IJN Yamato was the lead ship her class of 5 proposed new Super Battleships for the Japanese Navy.
Only 3 were completed, Yamato, Musashi and Shinano which was converted to an Aircraft Carrier after the losses at Midway. The 4th was scrapped at 30% complete, the 5th never started.

On the 6th-7th April 1945 Yamato along with a screen of Destroyers and a command Cruiser set off on Operation "Ten-ichigo" to attack Allied forces gathered around Okinawa.

The group was spotted by US submarines and then shadowed by Flying boats reporting the Battle groups position as it headed toward Okinawa.
US Carrier forces prepared for their assault and at 12.30 the first Strike force arrived above the Yamato, the first attack commenced at 12.37, followed by 2 additional groups at 1.00pm and 1.40pm.
After numerous Torpedo and Bomb hits the Yamato rolled over to Port and at 2.23pm she was rocked by a tremendous explosion from her forward magazine as she capsized and sank, leaving a huge Mushroom cloud to mark her sinking…..
Yamato_0069.jpg

Can you put a rule next to some of those small pieces please

Users who are viewing this thread

Back