800bhp Shelby Mustang GT500

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BHP is brake horse power measured at the flywheel. Too the ground I would guess 550-600 maybe. You generally see at least a 25-30% loss at the rear wheels if not more.

Last edited:
Messy, you might be some what surprised. These days you loose only about 60 to 80 HP at the most. Technology has come a long way. Pulley ratios and new gear ratios and gear manufacturing tech keeps the power up a lot higher than it did back in the 60's and 70's. Even the automatic transmissions are more efficient by far and are extremely close the the manual transmissions. And the stronger the motor the less you seem to loose.

Last edited:
These days you lose only about 60 to 80 HP at the most. Technology has come a long way. Pulley ratios and new gear ratios and gear manufacturing tech keeps the power up a lot higher than it did back in the 60s and 70s. Even the automatic transmissions are more efficient by far and are extremely close the the manual transmissions. And the stronger the motor the less you seem to lose
True
figure I had in my head was around 10% for rear wheel drive. It's slightly less for front wheel drive but I can't recall if the figure was 6% or 8%

Still can't understand why they don't get with the 21st century and invest in some independent rear suspension for their new pony.

True
figure I had in my head was around 10% for rear wheel drive. It's slightly less for front wheel drive but I can't recall if the figure was 6% or 8%

Still can't understand why they don't get with the 21st century and invest in some independent rear suspension for their new pony.

I dont have any figures but you dont lose anything you change it from one type of energy to another. If 150-200BHP isnt getting to the rear wheels that is a heluva lot of heat and sound. It doesnt actually matter. If everyone quotes the same figure at the crank or wheel it is the difference from a normal car that matters. Few people can handle 200BHP let alone 6-800.

Great car though.

That car is a beast, I dont think much could be done to make it handle like a true sportscar, its heavy and top heavy but it smokes tarmac and stops quickly, oh and I bet it pulls birds too.

True

A aftermarket company by the name of Koogle Engineering makes a Ford nine inch independent rear end based on the Jaguar set up in either dual or single shock absorber models. The last time I looked up a price though was back in 2000 and the dual shock fully pollished unit was just over $14000.00 so they are a bit pricey but it would make it so much more sticky in the curves.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back