8th Air Force personnel memorial. Alconbury. England. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hedge hopper

Airman
Dec 26, 2012
cannysphotosNo199006_zps817938f8.jpg

cannysphotosNo199013_zpsd5f31568.jpg

cannysphotosNo199014_zps923cd112.jpg

cannysphotosNo199015_zpsfe01818f.jpg

cannysphotosNo199009_zpsd819ff90.jpg

The admin/housing area is still used to accommodate personnel serving at RAF Molesworth but the operational airfield side was sold off after flight ops ended in the mid-90's...sadly!

I was there for some TV filming about 8 years ago, and, as Buff mentioned, the airfield was closed, although it still had MoD Police on the gates and second entrance.
The TV company I was advising at the time were using the HAS's, and the Command Center, the latter a huge, purpose-built NBC equipped bunker, for use in time of war, most of which was underground, and had access for trucks, through very thick, blast proof doors, sunk into shafts between the 'floors'. It had been built at a cost of £13 million, just three years before the airfield closed!
At the time I was there, one of the 'Top Gear' programmes was being filmed also, out on the runway, and one of the 'super cars' being used ended up a wreck - something not shown in the TV show!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back