a-10 warthog / hobbyboss

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

akkasoothy

Airman
Oct 17, 2012
ok just starting too build an a-10 warthog . i have just started building planes and most of them have been failures so far .all i have done so far is the cockpit of the a-10.will post more as i progress.
413.JPG
418.JPG

'Pit looks fine, Don't be hard on yourself. It is a hobby, pure and simple. If you are wanting more stress in your life, get married, or have a kid, anything but beat yourself up over a model. Hell, I am nowhere near as talented as most of these guys, but I love to learn and build.
If you get to a place that you are unsure of what to do, ask. Everyone here is happy to give advice.

haha yeah its supposed to be fun!! i just love the look of those finely finished models which actually look like minature versions of the real deal. thanx for your help.

Can't see anything wrong with that. If the rest of the model turns out as good, then that's all that counts. Some of the so called 'Pro' models might be good, but they can look like what they are - good models. When a model looks real in a photo at 'scale eye level', then that is a good model - and it doesn't have to be super-detailed or have loads of fancy shading etc.
Aim for a clean build and good paint finish, and you won't go far wrong - the arty farty stuff can come later, if you want it.
BTW, is this 1/48th scale ?

off to a flying start on the a-10 with tail fins glued on upside down. what to do,
005.JPG
what to do

ok here is my first attempt at pre shading the panel lines after practicing on junk .water
003.JPG
005.JPG
started coming out the airbrush for some reason aswell .

the paint seems to come out abit grainy in spots,but to me i am happy with it. I do not know what else i can do to the fuselage and wings ect .i think i went over some parts too heavy so the effect of my shading has gone but it doesnt look too thick.perhaps i will lighten the sky grey with some white and spray it with that.
026.JPG
guess now i will moves onto all those weappons and landing gear.

Just a couple of questions, Is it humid there? If so, you might look into a moisture trap for the air brush. That will stop the water from spitting out when you are spraying.
And, are you using acrylics? There are thinners that go with the different brands, if you are thinning with tap water it can cause the paint to come out clumpy at times. Minerals in the water, I think, but one of our resident brains can probably give the correct answer. Anyways, the right thinner is the answer to blobs. Enamels are the same, use a thinner that is for airbrushing, it is more pure than the cheap brush cleaning stuff.
It's looking good, the preshading can still be seen, and there is something to be said for subtlety.

thanks for your comments. there is actually an water trap on the the compresor but one close up the line would be handy. i actually figured out that the water coming out the air brush was from condensation building up in the air line because the compressor was getting too hot.so a little cooling fan helps alot. im actually using tamyia paints and thinner. i wish my hobby shop sold special paints that were easy to get into the airbrush ,i have seen the bottles online , you just squirt it into the airbrush.my method is messy lol.

The grainy surface could also mean that you are holding the brush too far away from the surface. This could cause the paint to actually start drying in the air before it hits the model.

Oh.. but I do like how it looks. Nice job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back