A-10 Warthogs over Kandahar

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A-10 is surely awesome plane - ditto for men that fly them :)

you guys remember the long column pulverized by 2-3 Warthogs in the first freedom conflict under Bush Sr. ? like a scythe on destruction bent, everything was withered; men, machines, armor, nothing alive

you guys remember the long column pulverized by 2-3 Warthogs in the first freedom conflict under Bush Sr. ? like a scythe on destruction bent, everything was withered; men, machines, armor, nothing alive

I always wondered how they would have faired if there were some ZSU's (can they traverse enough to track ?) and SAMs in the convoy. A10 showed it can take cosiderable damage and still fly but it really hasn't gone up against professional bad guys.

Love the A10... any heritage shots of it with an A1 and P47?

I have a heritage shot of a A-10 and P-47.

Attachments

• ph-10423.jpg
    ph-10423.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 185
A-10 cannons are tilted down so that the pilot can fly level while strafing. This is important, Yon explains: In Mosul, in 2004, an F-14 was strafing downtown after a massive truck bombing. The pilot told me he was fixated on the target. Since the F-14 cannon is tilted up for "Top Gun" air combat, the pilot had to nose down the F-14 and was diving straight into the target -- and nearly crashed. The hard turn to avoid crashing damaged his aircraft and the pilot had difficulty landing on the aircraft carrier later that night. This doesn't happen in an A-10.

Unless I missed something, but when did they start tilting the cannon down so the A-10 can fly level?

Great pictures he has on his website BTW!

Unless I missed something, but when did they start tilting the cannon down so the A-10 can fly level?

Great pictures he has on his website BTW!

I hadn't heard that either, but wouldn't be out of the ordinary. It is not uncommon in small arms for the scope rail to have 20MOA pre-built into the inclination for long range weapons. I can totally see the A-10 having a negative angle built into the gun platform.

Now what I find suspicious is the claim that it can fly treetop level and strafe below it at a reasonable gun range. That sounds like utter BS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back