A-36 Invader (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DIO

Airman
Nov 27, 2007
Hello everybody.
I am involved in a very ambitious project of building every single P-51 type available.

I am currently building A-36 and P-51A. P-82 is to follow, while P-51D, P-51 Mk III, F-6b photo-reconnaissance are being already made.

I had already opened the A-36 engine, and I was so happy about it, until I realized that I had no details on the nose mounted guns under it!!!

I have already searched through the web, with no luck at all.

So you people, are my only and last chance. I am looking for photo or plans or both, on the bottom nose construction of this wonderful plane.

Thank you in advance,

DIO

PS. Anybody interested in Greek photo-recon F-4E ;)

Here is a picture I took at the EAA, its not a A-36 but it is a XP-51, the only one left in the world. I will look around and see if I can find some more.

Attachments

• scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 262
This is fine, but I truly need one with no covers, as I intend to create a "naked" model :lol:

By what you say, I understand that that there is not any existing P-51, A-36 anymore?

PS. Still the one above is such a beauty!!!

The XP-51 here is one of the first experimental mustang's. There are plenty of P-51's left in the world. Mainly of the P-51D model. As for the A-36 I currently dont know of any left. Maybe some one else knows more if ther are any surviors of this model.

Survivors

Relatively few A-36As survived the war and the subsequent postwar retirement and scrapping of obsolete types. One A-36A, bearing race number #44, owned and flown by Kendall Everson, was entered in the 1947 Kendall Trophy Race. The old warhorse was able to reach 377.926 mph, finishing second to the winning P-51D flown by Steve Beville.[24]

A-36A (USAAF Serial #42-83665/N39502) is on display as "Margie H" at the National Museum of the USAF in Dayton, Ohio. There are at least three A-36s undergoing restoration. The Warhawk Air Museum in Caldwell, Idaho has A-36A (USAAF Serial #42-83738/N4607V) under restoration for future display. A-36As currently under restoration to flying condition include the A-36A (USAAF Serial #42-83731/N251A) owned by Tom Friedkin in Chino, California (presently being refurbished at the Planes of Fame Museum after her return from the Flying Legends 2002 Air Display at Duxford) and the Collings Foundation A-36A being restored by American Aero Services in New Smyrna Beach, Florida.

North American A-36 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The A-36 has always been a 'what -if" for me.

A dive bomber with teeth! I guess the water-cooled engine killed it.

It looks to me that there are enough survivors around that contact could be made and a request for simple photos could be placed.

I think the photo you posted is from dayton?... nice photo!

I think the photo you posted is from dayton?... nice photo!

The top photo was taken at the EAA's museum. The mustang is owned by the musuem here in Oshkosh Wisconsin. They use to fly it at the airshow till one year the engine stuttered on take off. It was determined that it was to valuble to continue flying because of the historical significants being one of the first orignal mustangs built before production began.

:shock:

I'd say that qualifies as significant!

yeah she is a rare bird. Not to many warbirds out there that can say they have a proto type left on display for a major aircraft of WWII.

Micdrow,
You fond of the A-36/P-51 series? My faves! I have a decent set of "walkaround" pictures of a D-model if you're interested. Check out: 10tweaker's photos and albums on webshots

Always on the look-out for tech manuals too--got several but always looking for more. Hint, hint. LOL

BTW, you're right about the EAA bird. It was one of the two XP-51s kept by the USAAF from the original British order. It was part of the export agreement. However, at the time the USAAC didn't show much interest in the planes as it was viewed as a British project. Only after gunnery tests at Eglin did the USAAC take interes--even though it was still not given much priority. The other prototype was eventually scrapped. I have copies of both aircraft's history cards. Anyway, I won't try to rewrite the Mustang history...

Jim

Hi 10tweaker,

If manuals are what you are looking for on the P-51 then read though this whole message link. Multiple manuals posted in this thread.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/other-mechanical-systems-tech/mustang-manuals-9051.html

I probably see between 20 and 30 mustangs on an average a year simply by going to one airshow. The EAA's Airventure airshow in Wisconsin. Its the largest airshow in the world. I also have a ton of pictures of mustang's including a few that are no longer around because of crashes.

As far as fondness for a aircraft goes. I prefer the Bf-109, Though it still confuses the heck out of me with all the varients built. But then again I have a lot of stuff on the mustang also. Guess you can say I love all warbirds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back